How to apply for greencard for parents?

CitizenKane

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Has anyone applied for greencard for parents after getting citizenship?

1) What is the process to follow (just submit I-130 with $190 and documents) or is there something more complicated?

2) What are the steps? Do they have to go for fingerprinting, etc?

3) How long does the process take? Since they are parents, they do not have to wait for a visa number to become available, so it should be a fairly short process, right?

Thanks,
Kane

CitizenKane said:
Hello,

Has anyone applied for greencard for parents after getting citizenship?

1) What is the process to follow (just submit I-130 with $190 and documents) or is there something more complicated?

2) What are the steps? Do they have to go for fingerprinting, etc?

3) How long does the process take? Since they are parents, they do not have to wait for a visa number to become available, so it should be a fairly short process, right?

Thanks,
Kane

It's much more complicated than that. N-400 and the process of naturalization it's a simple joke in comparison with GC for parents...I-130 + I-485 + I-693 + G-325 +I-864 ++++....

Go to "Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage or a Relative" and one of the first threads, a "stiky" one (GC for parents...or something like that) will give you all the answers and details you need for your question.

It's much more complicated than that. N-400 and the process of naturalization it's a simple joke in comparison with GC for parents...I-130 + I-485 + I-693 + G-325 +I-864 ++++....

Very well said.. That's exactly what I was thinking when I recently filed for my Parent :)

Go to "Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage or a Relative" and one of the first threads, a "stiky" one (GC for parents...or something like that) will give you all the answers and details you need for your question.

which is right here...

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=202993

This has 2 sections (AOS / CP) and the process is completely different for either, which is dependent on where the parents are residing, at the time of filing I-130:

Adjustment of Status (if Parent is in US at the time of filing)
Consular Processing (if Parent is abroad at the time of filing)

Thanks!

Jenimmi,
Thanks very much for the helpful pointer.

Suzy977,
Actually the process is not as complicated for Consular Processing of parents GC. Basically you have to
i) send in form I-130
ii) wait to receive the agent assignment form and send that in
iii) wait to recieve biodata form and affidavit of support form and send it in.
iv) wait for file to be transferred to foreign consulate and be intimated
v) get police clearances and medical examination of the parent
vi) parent appear for interview

Whole thing seems to take 8-12 months.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems straightforward if parent is not currently residing in the US on visa, but is overseas.

Thanks,
Kane

Hi Citizenkane,

Are you saying it is easier (faster) to sponsor Parent via Consular Processing rather than have them come over to the US on a vistors visa and then apply?

Kindly let me know

Thanks

shahidsan said:
Hi Citizenkane,

Are you saying it is easier (faster) to sponsor Parent via Consular Processing rather than have them come over to the US on a vistors visa and then apply?

Kindly let me know

Thanks

The steps involved in doing AOS (when parent is in US) or CP (when parent is abroad) are essentially the same.

The difference being when filing for AOS, you have to combine all the paper work, forms, medical etc., in one packet and send it to the Chicago Lock box in the very beginning. You also have the option of sending I-130 first and then then send the I-485 package later, but why do that - when you have a chance to send everything in one bunch and be done with all at once. This will also cut down a couple of months in your process, if you send them all together. Recently, in the forum which deals with it, you'll find that Parents' cases (if there are no complications and all the necessary docs are filed) are approved even without an interview and the total time from application to approval is 4.5 months, regardless of your DO ;)

Whereas for CP, all these filing of forms are done in different steps through out the process, depending on when NVC sends you the forms and fee Bill request. In fact, there is an extra step in CP which is Police clearance which you don't have when you do AOS. With recent improvements in AOS for Immediate relative category, it is much faster than CP. CP takes about 8 - 12 months.

As JoeF mentioned, it may be wise for one to apply for a Parent at least 90 days after their arrival on a Non-immigrant visa. That said, I've also come across cases where they filed within a month of arrival and did not have problems. I personally would wait at least 60 days after their entry, to file AOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jenimmi,

My parents haven visited the US a number of times, and have been using their 10 year multi-entry visa. Would they still need to wait the next time they visit or can i apply right away on their arrival. Also, once everything is applied, do my parents have to stay in the USA till the processing is complete or can they come back closer to the date of getting the GC.

You mention sending everything as one packet. Did you mean simply filling the I-130 and I-485 forms and sending it together?

Thanks for your input

shahidsan said:
Hi Jenimmi,

My parents haven visited the US a number of times, and have been using their 10 year multi-entry visa. Would they still need to wait the next time they visit or can i apply right away on their arrival. Also, once everything is applied, do my parents have to stay in the USA till the processing is complete or can they come back closer to the date of getting the GC.

You mention sending everything as one packet. Did you mean simply filling the I-130 and I-485 forms and sending it together?

Thanks for your input

After your parents arrive or if they have already arrived, it is better for you to wait 90 days from the time of their arrival to apply. It does not matter if they have a 10 yr multiple entry visa or if they have visited US any number of times. Some wait only 30 days, some wait 60 days - it is totally your call, but the general idea is to wait 90 days to avoid any complication that may arise - due to the fact that they arrived on a non-immigrant visa, but they are applying to adjust their status to that of an immigrant.

Your parents need to stay till their AOS is approved, which is GC approval. Some cases require an interview, in some cases they just get the "welcome letter" which says petition to adjust status is approved. The exception to that is, together with the I-485 package or later if they apply for I-131 Advance Parole, then they can leave US during the AOS process, but should be back for their interview (if they have one) or before the Adv Parole expires, whichever is sooner.

Besides filing I-130, if you print the I-485 you will see that I-485 together should be sent with:
I-864 Affidavit of support
I-693 Medical
G-325A Biographic info

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-485pk1.pdf

You can also send I-131 Adv Parole, I-765 work permit application(s) together with I-485, if you want to. All of this described in detail in the forum that's just around the corner:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com...ad.php?t=202993

CitizenKane said:
Suzy977,
Actually the process is not as complicated for Consular Processing of parents GC. Basically you have to
i) send in form I-130
ii) wait to receive the agent assignment form and send that in
iii) wait to recieve biodata form and affidavit of support form and send it in.
iv) wait for file to be transferred to foreign consulate and be intimated
v) get police clearances and medical examination of the parent
vi) parent appear for interview

Whole thing seems to take 8-12 months.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this seems straightforward if parent is not currently residing in the US on visa, but is overseas.

Thanks,
Kane

My parent are in the US.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about consular process. :)