How to apply for citizenship for a minor who is a GC holder?

misc_chic

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Myself, wife and my daughter are all GC holders. My daughter is a minor, though. I am planning to apply for citizenship for all the 3. What form do i need to use for my daugheterfor naturalization?. (incidentally form N-400 is for 18+ and form N-600 requires that at least one parent should be a citizen).

Hi,
Myself, wife and my daughter are all GC holders. My daughter is a minor, though. I am planning to apply for citizenship for all the 3. What form do i need to use for my daugheterfor naturalization?. (incidentally form N-400 is for 18+ and form N-600 requires that at least one parent should be a citizen).

Once you become citizen, they become citizens automatically. You can file N600 to get proof of their citizenships.

Yes. But apply for your daughter's passport first. N-600 is optional and it takes longer and is more expensive (but it has the advantage of never expiring, unlike passports which do expire).

Yes. But apply for your daughter's passport first. N-600 is optional and it takes longer and is more expensive (but it has the advantage of never expiring, unlike passports which do expire).
Although passports expire, it is possible to use a recently expired passport (and I think recent means within the last five years) as proof of citizenship to renew the passport.

Although passports expire, it is possible to use a recently expired passport (and I think recent means within the last five years) as proof of citizenship to renew the passport.
True. But there are some other situations where an expired passport is not acceptable but a natz certificate (or cert. of citizenship or birth certificate) can be used, such as renewing/obtaining a driver's license in a state where the DMV won't accept an expired passport.

Bottom line ;) Yes, you and your wife apply for N-400. When either one of you or both become citizens your daughter will become a citizen automatically (granted that she is still under 18 and in the US living with you). Then you can apply for passport and certificate of citizenship. Both can be applied at the same time, as the N600 form only asks for photocopies of documents. The N600 will take longer to process, so the first proof of citizenship your daughter will get is her passport. By the way, for extra peace of mind you should apply for both passport book and passport card.

What to file for N600

Bottom line ;) Yes, you and your wife apply for N-400. When either one of you or both become citizens your daughter will become a citizen automatically (granted that she is still under 18 and in the US living with you). Then you can apply for passport and certificate of citizenship. Both can be applied at the same time, as the N600 form only asks for photocopies of documents. The N600 will take longer to process, so the first proof of citizenship your daughter will get is her passport. By the way, for extra peace of mind you should apply for both passport book and passport card.

Huracan,
You stated that for the N600 only copies of the supporting documents are required and I was wondering about that because the instructions are a little ambiguous. My wife and I both became naturalized citizens 2 weeks ago. We applied for our passports first and just got them so now we're looking to file an N600 for our 17 year old child. My wife is the designated US parent applying on behalf of our minor child.

It looks like only a copy of my child's greencard is needed and a copy of proof of residence. From the instructions it appears that we must also provide birth certificates for my wife and child, our marriage certificate and our naturalization certificates. Should I send originals or copies of these documents? Is my birth certificate also required?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.