How to answer N-400 Part 10 good moral character with a record

wxm146

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was arrested in May 2003 for a traffic related problem. I was convicted in 09/2003 with "disorder conduct" in NY and served a few days community service, the record is expunged. My lawyer told me "disorder conduct" in NY is a violation, not a criminal conviction. Now I am filling N-400 and I am not sure how to answer questions in part 10 D good moral character. from Q15 - Q21, I answered the following: 15. No. 16 - 18. three Yes. 19-21. three No. Is this right?
I will attach a court disposition letter with the expunged record, but I want to make sure I answer these questions correctly. thanks for any help in advance.

Assuming you have the latest version of the application N400

15 - No
16 - Yes
17 - Yes
18 - Yes
19- No
20 - No
21 - This one is tricky, if you were arrested where did they take you? to the police precinct? this might qualify as jail, or they arrested you ,gave you a citation and let you go from the scene?

This is just my humble opinion as I am not a lawyer

I answered the following: 15. No. 16 - 18. three Yes. 19-21. three No. Is this right?

I think so.

Except when you were arrested, did teh police trasnfer you to the county jail? There was discussionbefoire her about
if that count as jail for the purpose of Q21.

21 - This one is tricky, if you were arrested where did they take you? to the police precinct? this might qualify as jail, or they arrested you ,gave you a citation and let you go from the scene?

Look at the sequence of questions, it seems that Q 21 is intended for jail time or prison time as part of sentence rather than pre-trial confinement in jail.

Sequence is (1) arrested/cited - (2) charged - (3) convicted/alternative to conviction - (3) suspended sentence/probation - (4) real jail time/prison time.