How to actually talk to customer service

tabaliya

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I need to talk to someone at Customer Service to make an inquiry regarding the issue of "other names used" which I missed filling out in my original N400 application.

I keep calling 800-375-5283 which is the listed USCIS Customer Service number but keep getting trapped in the maze of menu options with never any luck in actually reaching a person at the other end. It seems like almost anything other than address change takes you to an automated response and more menus. Sometimes I hear "please call back for customer service between 8Am and 6PM M-F". The problem is, which sequence of menu options take me there? It is very frustrating.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

AP

Hello all,

I need to talk to someone at Customer Service to make an inquiry regarding the issue of "other names used" which I missed filling out in my original N400 application.

I keep calling 800-375-5283 which is the listed USCIS Customer Service number but keep getting trapped in the maze of menu options with never any luck in actually reaching a person at the other end. It seems like almost anything other than address change takes you to an automated response and more menus. Sometimes I hear "please call back for customer service between 8Am and 6PM M-F". The problem is, which sequence of menu options take me there? It is very frustrating.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

AP

Hi

I think today is president's day. So they don't have a service today.
If you do have your receipt number, you can dial 800-375-5283 then 2->2->6
then after you enter your number, then just follow the direction

Hi

I think today is president's day. So they don't have a service today.
If you do have your receipt number, you can dial 800-375-5283 then 2->2->6
then after you enter your number, then just follow the direction

I did follow that sequence and did enter my number but all that it seems to bring up is an automated response about the status of my case (pending) with a cold message at the end saying "that's all the information they have on my case". Are there other options in there?

I'll try tomorrow when they reopen and see what happens.

AP

Here is how you dial

I did follow that sequence and did enter my number but all that it seems to bring up is an automated response about the status of my case (pending) with a cold message at the end saying "that's all the information they have on my case". Are there other options in there?

I'll try tomorrow when they reopen and see what happens.

AP

1-800-375-5283

Choose options 1 2 6 0
Wait for about 2 secs after every option. You will get to talk to the customer service person within 2 mins.

Good luck.

Actually I was able to speak only to a customer service person who couldn't really answer my questions. Is there a way to actually talk to an Immigration Officer on the line?

AP

It seems as of late, the CSRs are being IO Bodyguards...

so, best way to talk to an IO now is Infopass.:(

Problem is InfoPass is also similar to talking to CSR. They can not do anything except read from the screen.
If your case if old, you can ask them to open service request. That is looked by an IO and reply is sent to your home. If you do not receive a reply for service request in 45 days, you can call and then they can transfer you to IO.

Hope that helps!!

CSR in my opinion and from what I was told by a CSR....is they can only see the same info as I do online.

When I spoke with the IO in Boston, he was able to tell me my namecheck and FP has cleared, address is correct, when I was placed in the IL que and to wait 1-2 months or so for IL.

This is a whole lot more than what CSR told me...."I see we received your app on 8/1 and nothing else has been done on your case"

Take your pick

When I spoke with the IO in Boston, he was able to tell me my namecheck and FP has cleared, address is correct, when I was placed in the IL que and to wait 1-2 months or so for IL.

So you were also given a 1-2 month timeline to receive an IL? I wonder if that's a standard response.

heh, maybe they are just trying to make us feel better....or just pulling the wool over our eyes :D

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? How long ago were you placed in the interview queue? I didn't even think to ask that question during InfoPass. Think it'll be worth it to schedule another InfoPass if no IL arrives within 2 months?

Makes you wonder, doesn't it? How long ago were you placed in the interview queue? I didn't even think to ask that question during InfoPass. Think it'll be worth it to schedule another InfoPass if no IL arrives within 2 months?

I was placed in queue 11/16/07.

The last CSR I talked with suggested I wait until on or after 3/2/08 before doing Infopass...so I'll wait.

Edit....I think what held me back was my original FP was lost in mail. I was scheduled to do that original FP 10/5..see immediately after I went on 11/15 I was placed in queue on 11/16, which meant my namecheck went through without a hitch.

I wonder if I had don FP one month before, if I'd still be waiting?

hmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was placed in queue 11/16/07.

The last CSR I talked with suggested I wait until on or after 3/2/08 before doing Infopass...so I'll wait.

Edit....I think what held me back was my original FP was lost in mail. I was scheduled to do that original FP 10/5..see immediately after I went on 11/15 I was placed in queue on 11/16, which meant my namecheck went through without a hitch.

I wonder if I had don FP one month before, if I'd still be waiting?

hmmm...

If only I knew that I could ask the IO when I was placed in queue. I'm guessing that my name check didn't encounter any problems either, since I did my FPs only 7 weeks before my InfoPass. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. I'll just schedule another InfoPass if I don't hear anything by mid-April.

Hi
I have a question about InfoPass...
When should I ask for InfoPass? B/c I just finished my FP in 02/06/2008

And I can not check my status online, it shows my ESC* has problems or something.
What should I do?
----------------------------
N-400 mailed - 01/14/2008
Priority Date - 01/15/2008
Status Appears Online - ?????
NOA Received - 01/25/2008
FP Notice - 01/25/2008
FP Date/Done - 02/06/2007
InfoPass #1 -??????????
Interview Notice - XX/XX/XX
Interview Date - XX/XX/XX
Oath Notice - XX/XX/XX
Oath Date - XX/XX/XX

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea when you should check - perhaps after a month? Allow them some time and you a chance to actually get some information.

The online status you can tank. I doubt that ever changes to anything that helps.

Anyone ever gotten a progress e-mail?

Hi
I have a question about InfoPass...
When should I ask for InfoPass? B/c I just finished my FP in 02/06/2008

And I can not check my status online, it shows my ESC* has problems or something.
What should I do?
----------------------------
N-400 mailed - 01/14/2008
Priority Date - 01/15/2008
Status Appears Online - ?????
NOA Received - 01/25/2008
FP Notice - 01/25/2008
FP Date/Done - 02/06/2007
InfoPass #1 -??????????
Interview Notice - XX/XX/XX
Interview Date - XX/XX/XX
Oath Notice - XX/XX/XX
Oath Date - XX/XX/XX

I did my FPs on 12/26/07 and had my first InfoPass on 2/15/08. As MartinAub suggested, give them a bit of time to get the information and enter it into the system. 6-8 weeks should be sufficient.

No idea when you should check - perhaps after a month? Allow them some time and you a chance to actually get some information.

The online status you can tank. I doubt that ever changes to anything that helps.

Anyone ever gotten a progress e-mail?

I doubt anyone applying after July '07 got a status update. My LUD still shows 12/6/07, which was the date my receipt and FP notice were generated.

Thanks for your answer ^^

One more question.....
They will send me the InfoPass actively or I have to call for asking?

Thanks for your answer ^^

One more question.....
They will send me the InfoPass actively or I have to call for asking?

No problem. I am not sure what your question is, but the InfoPass is set up through the USCIS website (http://infopass.uscis.gov). After you fill in some basic information related to your case (A#, receipt #, etc.), you are given a choice of available dates. After you click on a particular date, you are then given a choice of times. After you pick the time, your appointment is scheduled in the system and an appointment letter is displayed on your screen. Make sure you print out the letter and bring it with you to your appointment, otherwise you won't be allowed in. The letter has a barcode that will be scanned upon entry into the building and when you actually sit dow to talk to an IO. I hope this helps!