• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How to activate the green card

TKFOO84

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

My interview was successful at the US Embassy Malaysia, and I was given a visa and told to leave for US within 6 months.

What I'd like to know is, how to activate the green card and social security?

1). Do i have to travel to some places to meet some immigrant officers to activate my green card?

2). Or after I landed in the US, then the green card will be sent to my contact person's house?

Please provide more information, will be appreciated.

Thanks,
TK

After you enter the US you will become resident. Welcome letter and green card will be send to you. You will need to apply for SS #.

Here's my situation.

I was giving my contact person's information to the US Embassy, so after I landed in US, do i have to go to see any immigration officer? Or just wait the Welcome Letter and Green Card to send to me? I'll go back to my country for a year because I need to serve my current employer. Is that possible to re-enter to the US after a year after I've got my green card and welcome letter?

Please advise, your advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much Alvarad and others, are you in the United States now Alvarad?

Best Regards,
TK

Here's my situation.

I was giving my contact person's information to the US Embassy, so after I landed in US, do i have to go to see any immigration officer? Or just wait the Welcome Letter and Green Card to send to me? I'll go back to my country for a year because I need to serve my current employer. Is that possible to re-enter to the US after a year after I've got my green card and welcome letter?

Please advise, your advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much Alvarad and others, are you in the United States now Alvarad?

Best Regards,
TK

When you land in the US, before you can leave the airport you will pass through the Immigration, where the Immigration officer would check your info about address and stuff and tell you that the green card would be mailed to you at that address. So, in simple words, everybody sees the immigration officer, and so will you. So no worries there.

Then you will have to go an apply for the SS card. For this you would have to go to the SS office and start the process. They mail it within three weeks.

After you receive your green card and SS card, you can travel, but remember one thing. In general, you can apply for citizenship 5 yrs after your green card. If you are not present in the US for a period of 6 months then you have to restart the period of 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. But i would suggest you do some research on this yourself too.