How soon should I apply for USC? JoeF, Rahul, others please comment.

cedarslane

Registered Users (C)
Currently I'm working overseas for a US company and now I have to plan my return back to US before my eligibility runs out!

I need advice from experts in this forum as to what is the drop-dead last date for me to apply for my USC. Here are some relevant details:

Received by GC (date on the GC): March 2000
Continuous stay in US: Mar. 2000 to Jan 24, 2003 (35 months)
Out of US since:Jan 24, 2003 to Present

I have applied for N470 (Application to Preserve Residency for Naturalization) before I left for my Overseas assignment.
I have valid Re-entry Permit which allows me to stay out till March 2006. I'm aware the reentry permit doesn't help me towards fulfilling my 5 year stay needed for USC process. But my N470 application does.

Considering that out of the last 5 years before applying for USC one has to be physically present for 30 months within US, I have the following questions:

1. Does this 30 month physical presence be at a stretch?

2. I want to know when is the drop-dead date that I need to apply for my USC. Keep in my I need to establish a residence for at least 3 months before I apply.

3. Can I come back around July 2005 and then stay for 3 months before applying, will these 3 months be counted towards the 30 month count (27 months from earlier stay + 3 months now) ?

I look forward to your responce.

Thanks.

cedarslane said:
1. Does this 30 month physical presence be at a stretch?

No. Its a total of 30 months in the last 60 months as a PR

cedarslane said:
2. I want to know when is the drop-dead date that I need to apply for my USC. Keep in my I need to establish a residence for at least 3 months before I apply.

3 months after you come back should be ok.

cedarslane said:
3. Can I come back around July 2005 and then stay for 3 months before applying, will these 3 months be counted towards the 30 month count (27 months from earlier stay + 3 months now) ?

You earlier stay ws 35 months correct ?

Assuming you satisfied all conditions on the N470 and it was approved then your residency is intact. You can apply 3 months after coming back to the US for good.

JoeF, any thoughts....?

Rahul, JoeF - Thanks for your prompt responce.

When I inquired with my attorney's office about the N470 approval status, they responded saying there is no formal approval issued. The N470 will be reviewed when USC application is processed.

Is this correct? It didn't make sense to me. This means I'll have to come back, establish residence, spend the money only to be rejected during the USC interview?

Please let me know if there is an actual N470 approval that I need to pursue with the USCIS.

Thanks.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever. You apply a petition its either approved or not! I'd follow up ASAP with CIS wrt N470

JoeF, Rahul - Do you guys know of someone who received an approval of N470 before they applied for USC?

I checked with my attorney again, she is very confident that N470 does not get adjudicated until I apply for the USC in future. For that matter you don't even get a Receipt number for you to follow-up with USCIS. You can only do via mail and wait for their reply!

What do you guys suggest?

Double check what you attorney says with CIS. If your N470 is not approved, (or will be approved ) then there is no point applying for Natz

I dont buy the arguement that N470 will be adjudicated at the time of the interview

Hi cedarslane,
On what reasons did you apply for N470 application ?
Please explain.
I am also planning to do the same.
Thankyou.
NJGC05

Hi,

Please let me know if we need to be physically present for atleast one year in the US before applying for N-470.

We are living in the US for the past 3 years.. but due to business we have travelled quite a bit.. Would this be a problem ???

Thanks
Anita