How soon one can change job after I-485 approval?

TK

Registered Users (C)
Is there any paper work involved if one changes job soon after I-485 approval? Are there any implications? Does it affect the issue of plastic card?

JoeF....this artilce doesn\'t consider the 180 day (AC21) rule...

Here I am tlaking about how soon one can change job after I-485 approval....what is the paper work involved if any...

No Title

TK, AC-21 only applies before 485 is approved. The posting JoeF pointed you to is for people whose 485 has been approved. Even though it seems strange that before approval you can change in 180 days...after approval, no such clear rule exists.

JoeF and Sxm........thanks, so what is your suggestion ?

My I-485 was approved on Jan 26, 2002 (EB-1; OR). I am planning to change my job after PP stamping. The article says that I can not do so.

So what are the implications/paper work? I will be joining in the "similar job".

No Title

This is really a very frequent question on this board. Most of the people do not like the answers they are getting.

There is nothing you can do to be \'safe.\' Theoretically if you did not have the intention to work indefinitively for the sponsoring company at the time of approval then you commited immigration fraud. I do not think that this type of cases are prosecuted often, look on this discussion group for rescission and you will find a short thread where I tried to gather some information.

You may be safer if you can put together documentation to show that the intent to leave was triggered by an event after the approval.

The implications is that you can be deported at any time in your future. If you happen to be friend with Joe and Joe happens to commit a crime and the INS really wants to come after you then you just gave them a reason by posting your intent on a public forum. Don\'t even bother leaving the sponsoring company now.

It really bothers me when people who spent so much time getting their GC all the sudden just drop all caution and run lose.

Just my 2 cents, I am not a lawyer.

No Title

TK, I agree with JoeF. There is no "hard" rule. Go with what is reasonable. I think abt 6 months is reasonable timeframe. So, plan your move after that timeframe.

What do you think of my case?

My case was approved on 2/5/02. I works for a consulting company. Few months back a client offered me a permanent position. Since the client has strict two year rule (after working as consultant for two years, you either convert to a permanent position or just go), I decided to take the position. My last day with the consulting company is 2/8/02. Actually I made the departure announcement few weeks back. It\'s just the transition takes very long time. Is my case protected by AC21? Am I doomed for just three days?