How soon can you quit a J1 waiver job without consequences

rljohio

I signed a contract for 3 years to work as a physician in CA, at that time I thought I wanted to stay in the US and the only way was to switch my J1 visa to an H1 through a waiver position. However, my personal situation has changed and I am thinking of going back to my home country after only one year (or 6 months if possible) of working with them (to save some money). The H-1 visa petition has been filed, but not approved yet (though there is no reason to think that there will be a problem). The employer will make some expenses to help me relocate and pay for licensing fees. My question is can they sue me if I decide to quit before the 3 year contract is finished, do they have the legal right of asking me to repay them the relocation costs if I do not finish the 3 year contract? :confused:

Your contract should specify your OBLIGATIONS as well as your rights. You may certainly be sued for damages for failing to meet your contractual obligations. You will more than wipe out whatever you earn with legal fees to your attorney.

If your employer is granted a judgment, it will hang around and make your return very uncomfortable - and your reputation will be ruined via his recommendations and report of your unethical behaviour.

Who would want to be cared for by a physician with your ethics? Not me! Just go home now.