How soon can we leave our GC employer ?

Ma-Wizard

Registered Users (C)
Hi

GC Approved. How soon can we leave our GC sponsor employer ? I just can't wait to use execute my freedom ! :D

congratulations..

You can leave your GC employer immediately..
why wait ?

--pdd123

PD 12/2001
EB3/India self labor CSC
Labor certified : 04/2004
I140/485 concurrent filing (CSC):08/2004
I-140 approved : 03/2005
I-485 stuck in namecheck
I-485 CSC->NSC xfer : 02/2007
2nd FP : 04/2007
I-485 : delayed for ever ??

Are you sure that we can leave the GC sponsored company right after getting the GC.
{in fact, I will be the happiest person like few others, if it is so.}

Some one mentioned to me that we need continue to work minimum 6 more months, even for a year {from GC approved date }.
In order to avoid any future issues {may be while applying the citizenship or so ...}, and the GC being for a future employments purpose, you may need to stick to the sponsored employer some more time ....

Is this true ?? any comments ??

yes,thats true!we need to stick with the sponsoring employer after I-485 approval for atleast 6 months,or else it may construted by USCIS at the time of citizenship adjuducation " as malafide intent by the employee or employer to obtain permanent residency".So the best bet is to work for atleast 6 months or even more if you have the intent of applying for citizenship,to avoid problems later.

to avoid this situation,many are now-a-days using AC-21,to move to a "same or similar" before i-485 approval,thereby circumventing the uscis stand on this.
hope this helps,and congratulations!

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

GC Approved. How soon can we leave our GC sponsor employer ? I just can't wait to use execute my freedom ! :D
You waited long and hard for this "freedom"

I would suggest consulting with a reputed attorney (like Mr Khanna) before deciding to do something that you may later regret.

Just my opinion :)

After staying with my employer for 8 years, I finally moved to a new company two weeks before I got my approval. LOL. Maybe the new employer was lucky for me. I don't care about all these timelines (6 months and bull shit).

Hi

There is no specific duration in law. Anywhere between 6 months - 1 year were advised as reasonable by many lawyers.

You should have waited many years or even decade for this GC. Why not wait for another 1 year. Moreover your employer may not treat you the same way now because you are now GC holder and they know what you would do.

If there are serious concern with the employer then its different but still 6m - 1y is reasonable. If not why risk just to "execute the freedom".

Another question on the same topic -- Is it ok to take multiple jobs after you get the GC ? For instance instead of working for 40 hours/week can we work 20 hours/week for the employer and 20 hours as an independent ?

You can leave right away..

To make it simple.This is June so you are already worked 6 months for them.It means you have somthing in your 2007 W2 from present employer.Thats all ,no need pay checks.

After 5 years in 2012 when you apply for Citizenship crap still you can show this W2 you worked with this company in 2007(if they ask).

After 5 years Citizenship requires pay checks is a big joke.

planning 2 months at the max ...
1st month being for my grand celebration to, getting the approval.
2nd month is for shoping around.

pd : Jun 03
i-485 applied : Apr 05
card order e-mail : jun 19, 07
approval notice sent e-mail : jun 22, 07
physical card & approval notice received : jun 25, 07

can some one explain the real logic over here ...

1. Once I-485 is applied, you are allowed to change employer after 6 moths from the applied/notice/receipt date.
2. Did not we get our I-485 approval after 6 months {in fact, after many more years} from the appication date ?
3. So, where do the concept of "sticking to employer further (after GC approval)" really fit over here ...??

I would say that working for 6 months or 12 after approval is total BS when the senate is debating if they should offer a path to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants who entered and worked here without paying taxes.

What if the employer gets pissed off and complains to USCIS? Can they claim, you had fraudulent intention if you leave within 6 months?

can some one explain the real logic over here ...

1. Once I-485 is applied, you are allowed to change employer after 6 moths from the applied/notice/receipt date.
2. Did not we get our I-485 approval after 6 months {in fact, after many more years} from the appication date ?
3. So, where do the concept of "sticking to employer further (after GC approval)" really fit over here ...??

exactly!

I think there are 2 scenarios:
1. You have never joined the sponsored company.
2. You are already working for the sponsored company for the past X months.

I fall in the second and have been working for almost 8 years (1 year in India). I don't think these minumum X months apply in my case. or Will it?

Guys, relax, enjoy your freedom but don't do something you may regret later.
You have to prove that you had an _intention_ of working for the sponsor indefinitely. It is a general understanding that working at least 6 months establishes your intent. True, you may plan to work indefinitely on the day of your approval and have a change of heart the next day, but I wouldn't try to argue that in court.

I would say that working for 6 months or 12 after approval is total BS when the senate is debating if they should offer a path to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants who entered and worked here without paying taxes.

I disagree. I've lived too long on Earth to believe in logic and justice.
I can easily imagine a situation when they kick you out of the country for not working for a sponsor and give a GC to an illegal who lived illegally for 10 years here.
The sooner you quit believing in justice, the more disappointments you will avoid.