How soon can we go out of US after obtaining US citizenship?

nandu

Hello Everyone!

Please can any one advise me on following questions..
1. How soon can I go out of US and stay in India after obtaining US citizenship? Do I need to take PIO card or just take visitor visa to Inida or any other process exist? And How long I can stay outside with in the first year of obtaining US citizenship? I read on one of the forms, citizenship can be revoked if you have intentions to have permanent residence with in first year? Is this true? If so, how many days or months I can stay without jeopardizing US citizenship?

2. What's the procedure for dual citizenship? Do we need to give up Indian passport during US citizenship Interview? And then obtain PIO card? Please give me the details of any website where I can find detailed info.

As soon as you get your US Passport and PIO/Visa/OCI.
It depends on you. If you are going to stay in India for more than 6 months then take OCI or else you can manage with PIO/Visa. With PIO, you need to register after 6months of stay.
----
PIO cardholder is required to register with local Police authority for stay exceeding 180 days in India on any single visit whereas OCI is exempted from registration with Police authority for any length of stay in India.

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/
---
There is no limit and you can stay as long as you want. But, keep in mind you have to file taxes or otherwise you will be in trouble when you come back to US.

I don't think it is that is easy revoke US Citizenship. Anyways, experts please chime in.

There is nothing called Dual Citizenship in India only OCI like a GC. Interestingly enough, we have to be a GC holder with our own country

Here is the SFO consulate info.
http://www.cgisf.org/
You can get every info from here.
Good luck..

sami said:
Hello Everyone!

Please can any one advise me on following questions..
1. How soon can I go out of US and stay in India after obtaining US citizenship? Do I need to take PIO card or just take visitor visa to Inida or any other process exist? And How long I can stay outside with in the first year of obtaining US citizenship? I read on one of the forms, citizenship can be revoked if you have intentions to have permanent residence with in first year? Is this true? If so, how many days or months I can stay without jeopardizing US citizenship?

2. What's the procedure for dual citizenship? Do we need to give up Indian passport during US citizenship Interview? And then obtain PIO card? Please give me the details of any website where I can find detailed info.

Thank you so much for quick response. Can you please let me know how long does OCI/PIO process will take?