How should I sign my new US passport?

emno

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I searched this question but could not find. May be this is very basic and may be stupid questuon. but I have to ask. sorry.
I got my new passport.
1. Is it necessary to sigh it before sending for OCI application?
2. Sign is must or not ?
3. Should I fill my emergecy contact details? is this info a must?
4. I have fname, middle name and last name. Should I sign full name or the way I signed my passport application or the way I sign my natz xertificate or the way I sign my credit card?

thanks

A US passport is only valid when signed. You can sign it in your normal way, preferably matching your signature in your Indian passport. Emergency information is not required to be filled in.

Hi

I searched this question but could not find. May be this is very basic and may be stupid questuon. but I have to ask. sorry.
I got my new passport.
1. Is it necessary to sigh it before sending for OCI application?
Yes

2. Sign is must or not ?
A must

3. Should I fill my emergecy contact details? is this info a must?
No. I intentionally leave it blank to reveal as little personal info as possible.

4. I have fname, middle name and last name. Should I sign full name or the way I signed my passport application or the way I sign my natz xertificate or the way I sign my credit card?
So, you have three types of signatures? Can I ask you what is the one you signed the passport application with?

Sign the passport the way you sign credit cards. The only time I signed anything with my full name in cursive was the photo in the naturalisation certificate and the certificate itself just because the IO directed me to do so. All other documents (US and non-US) are signed with my usual illegible scribble.

A US passport is only valid when signed. You can sign it in your normal way, preferably matching your signature in your Indian passport. Emergency information is not required to be filled in.

Thanks. It is a great help.

Yes

A must

No. I intentionally leave it blank to reveal as little personal info as possible.

So, you have three types of signatures? Can I ask you what is the one you signed the passport application with?

Sign the passport the way you sign credit cards. The only time I signed anything with my full name in cursive was the photo in the naturalisation certificate and the certificate itself just because the IO directed me to do so. All other documents (US and non-US) are signed with my usual illegible scribble.

Thanks for detailed answer. I sign my passport application with my first name and last name (not the middle name). I also signed my nat certificate also the same way.

The insert with the passport says to sign with ink but I do not have an ink pen so is it OK to just sigh with ball point pen?

thank you so very much

The insert with the passport says to sign with ink but I do not have an ink pen so is it OK to just sigh with ball point pen?
You can use a ball point pen, but I would suggest using a fountain pen or a rollerball pen because they use water-based ink that is absorbed by the paper and does not fade with time. My birth certificate was signed with the dip pen and after three decades it still looks like it was signed yesterday :) That's quality.