How much time for the Embassy to issue U visa after passport received?

GS28

Registered Users (C)
Hi all. My dates are below ... I sent my US Passport to the Embassy on 1/18/2011. It was delivered on 1/20/2011 (USPS Priority with Tracking). Still have not received my passport + OCI back. I have tried emailing the Embassy, as well as calling the one number I have, which was on the email they sent me after the documents arrived. No reply so far. Needless to say I'm getting worried. It is supposed to take only 7 days to issue U visa + OCI card. It's now 15. I also have foreign travel coming up in a few weeks. Any advice? Would going to the Embassy in person be of help?

OCI Applied: October 2010
Printing date: December 25, 2010
Date sent to Washington: January 14,2010
Email sent by Embassy: January 17, 2010

Hi all. My dates are below ... I sent my US Passport to the Embassy on 1/18/2011. It was delivered on 1/20/2011 (USPS Priority with Tracking). Still have not received my passport + OCI back. I have tried emailing the Embassy, as well as calling the one number I have, which was on the email they sent me after the documents arrived. No reply so far. Needless to say I'm getting worried. It is supposed to take only 7 days to issue U visa + OCI card. It's now 15. I also have foreign travel coming up in a few weeks. Any advice? Would going to the Embassy in person be of help?

OCI Applied: October 2010
Printing date: December 25, 2010
Date sent to Washington: January 14,2010
Email sent by Embassy: January 17, 2010

I have almost similar dates as yours and I am also waiting for my PP to come back.

"Email sent by Embassy: January 17, 2010": Which email you are referring here.
I did not receive any emails from embassy.

Please keep the forum update on progress of your case. I will update as soon as I get my PP.
I am far away from embassay and travelling in person will be very difficult for me.

You got to be kidding !! ... Supposed to take 7 days ... Where did you get this idea?
Washington (DC) OCI processing was recently outsourced to Travisa. Check whether you fell under the cracks. Talking to embassy will definitely help clarify where you application is, but whether someone picks up the phone is a good question.

Have you checked the status online? You check it with the registration number you generated when submitting the application.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?320123-OCI-processing-outsourced-to-Travisa ... this thread talks about many things, but at least puts a date of Jan 14 (or earlier) when the outsourcing happened.

You got to be kidding !! ... Supposed to take 7 days ... Where did you get this idea?
Washington (DC) OCI processing was recently outsourced to Travisa. Check whether you fell under the cracks. Talking to embassy will definitely help clarify where you application is, but whether someone picks up the phone is a good question.

Have you checked the status online? You check it with the registration number you generated when submitting the application.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?320123-OCI-processing-outsourced-to-Travisa ... this thread talks about many things, but at least puts a date of Jan 14 (or earlier) when the outsourcing happened.

Now, what is the typical time to get back teh OCI stamping and OCI back?
My time frame is almost same as his and I am slso waiting for my PP.

Hey I sent mine and my wife Jan 18th delivered at 19th. I received everything(US passport with U visa , OCI book , SC and Cancelled Indan passport) back on Jan 21st. I was surprise how fast I am expecting one week time will take. I put the file number sticker on us passsport , printout of OCI approval paper and One request letter about SC and Indian passport did not recieved.

Now, what is the typical time to get back teh OCI stamping and OCI back?
My time frame is almost same as his and I am slso waiting for my PP.

Sorry I read this as end to end OCI, not the last step. My mistake. Last step taking 7 days is correct, pls call embassy and talk to them.

Sorry I read this as end to end OCI, not the last step. My mistake. Last step taking 7 days is correct, pls call embassy and talk to them.

Thanks y'all. I've emailed and I've called a variety of numbers for the Embassy -- either voicemail (no response to messages left) or no reply. Does anyone have a good number to call? If it's not here by Monday I think I'll be driving down to the Embassy (1h30m drive) and find out what's going on.

@emno: On Jan 17 I received an email from the Embassy that the OCI Card had arrived and I should send my passport to them within 4-6 weeks.
@Chotu123k: I put a printout of the email the Embassy sent me, printout from OCI status page, and case no. with passport as well as a cover letter.

Just FYI: I had included notarized copies of SC, canceled Indian passport and money order including the 20 dollar fees for shipping in my original OCI packet.

I don't know how much help this will be, but I had also emailed Travisa on Thursday. This is what they just replied with. At least they reply!

Dear Mr -----

i will suggest that you email at this address, indembwash@indiagov.org. I will also forward your email to them. can i get your phone# where i can easily reach you?

Thank you and we look forward assisting you!

Regards,

I don't know how much help this will be, but I had also emailed Travisa on Thursday. This is what they just replied with. At least they reply!
Dear Mr -----

i will suggest that you email at this address, indembwash@indiagov.org. I will also forward your email to them. can i get your phone# where i can easily reach you?

Thank you and we look forward assisting you!

Regards,

Please let us update your further progress. I am also waiting for my stamped US PP.

(I just wrote this in the OCI Washington DC Tracker sticky thread)

Ok folks, just got back from the Embassy in Washington. Bottom line, as relayed to be my Mr. Nateshan, the officer who issues OCI cards/stamps: "We sent out the notifications in mid-January, but were not prepared for the sudden large influx of applications. We have received nearly 1800 in a week. The office only has 2 staff members to process all this. We processed nearly 220 yesterday alone. Please be patient. We will clear the backlog by this week or the next." He also acknowledged that he had gotten an email from me (more like 4! And several voice-mails!) and was very apologetic. He took down my application # (I basically gave him a printout of the email the Embassy had sent me on Jan. 17. @Emno: I gave him your case number as well.) and assured me that it will be processed soon. He did not have a way of looking anything up, because everything is processed manually and he pointed at various tubs of FedEx and UPS mailers of applications that had come in.

Other information: The OCI in-person inquiry is on the 1st floor of the Consular wing and opens promptly at 1230, and not a minute earlier. You ring the bell and the babu lets you in; you go in, sign a register and it's in a little office on the left. Of course, the fact that these are the hours and this is the procedure isn't written in anywhere on the website or in the Consular wing. I asked the babu fellow when I first arrived (speaking in Hindi) at 11:00 and he told me to return at 1230. It was only thanks to information from this forum that I had an idea of the 1230 time and where to go. There were 3 other gentlemen in line with me, all with the same issue, and it seems, also with travel coming up. All got the same assurance.

Here's the best part. I got back and what was in the mailbox? Yep! My passport and OCI card! Ha ha! It was mailed yesterday, so I guess mine was among the 220 that was processed yesterday. For the others still waiting, I hope yours arrives soon.