How much time before I get receipt number?

rebecca79

Registered Users (C)
My application was mailed on June 29 and after the new developments I guess the next question should be how long does it take before we get receipt notice from USCIS. (I am told that receipt number is all I need after filing I485 to travel outside the US. I do have H1B valid till 2009. Is it true?)

I am hoping I receive it fast so I could plan to visit my family :D

Thanks in advance.

If your H1B is valid till 2009, you can visit your family without any problem. It doesnt matter whether you get the receipt number or not.

What if you don't have an H1B (being the dependant) and will be out of status in 30 days?...unless of course you leave the country and re-enter on H4
But could the out of status be reason for expiditing?

thanks

My Attorney mentioned that one cannot travel outside US until he/she has received the receipt number for I-485 even though the person has a valid H1-B.
How true?

Mine said the same - don't travel without the receipt, even if you have H1. Guess should be true.

My Attorney mentioned that one cannot travel outside US until he/she has received the receipt number for I-485 even though the person has a valid H1-B.
How true?
One reason attornies suggest it might be, becasue USICS issues receipt notice and soon after FP notices. now is the Beneficiary is out of country, then probably FP appointment need to be rescheduled. That caused unnecessary delaly in 485 processing.

One reason attornies suggest it might be, becasue USICS issues receipt notice and soon after FP notices. now is the Beneficiary is out of country, then probably FP appointment need to be rescheduled. That caused unnecessary delaly in 485 processing.

For another reason is... you filled the last POE date, port and legal status when entered in US on your I485 form. And it will certainly changed that if you fly out from the US soil while still waiting for your receipt#.

You can still use your H1B visa to travel and not apply for an AP in a later time. But I will wait until I see the receipt notice with the needy Receipt# plus the most important A# before I took off.

As far as I know,after 485 is applied, one needs to have 485 receipt to travel outside India with H-1 or H-4 Visa. I don't think this has anything to do with FP.

Generally there are lot of cases where people are allowed into US without 485 receipt on H-1B but I have heard that this practise is risky.

Hi,
I applied my I-485 on June 29th for July quota. I went to India on July 12th for some urgency. On July 17th USCIS started accetping I-485 applications again. I went for H1-B renewal stamping on July 26th. I came back to US on August 4th. No I-485 receipt yet.
My Lawyer said no problem so far. Let's see what happens..

Receipt notice or AP?

As far as I know,after 485 is applied, one needs to have 485 receipt to travel outside India with H-1 or H-4 Visa. I don't think this has anything to do with FP.

Generally there are lot of cases where people are allowed into US without 485 receipt on H-1B but I have heard that this practise is risky.

So does that mean, we do not have to have AP (Advance Parole) to travel outside US and come back in if we have an approved H1-B visa until 2009 or 2010? Even though the H1-B visa is not stamped in the passport, just 1-485 receipt is enough?

So does that mean, we do not have to have AP (Advance Parole) to travel outside US and come back in if we have an approved H1-B visa until 2009 or 2010? Even though the H1-B visa is not stamped in the passport, just 1-485 receipt is enough?

No You need H-1 Visa stamped on your Passport.

Receipt is just for the immigration authorities to know that you have applied for AOS.

I have actually travelled two time out of the country after my I-485 was filed and before my rcpt was available.

I had a valid H1-B and I did not have any problems. I had spoken to my lawyers and they said I should not have any problems - and I didnt:)

Nobody still Didn't answer the main question How long it take to get the reciept?
And can one leave with a B-2 Visa before getting the reciept?

Do not keep your hopes high for getting the reply to your question. Answer is even USCIS does not know that is why every week it declares receipting time updates ( Today the new update is due, And I am just waiting for that....).

Every Friday between 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM EST clicking following link with change in the date within the link would give you the updates.

Latest update:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ReceiptingTimes081707.pdf

Right now waiting for:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ReceiptingTimes082407.pdf

Do not keep your hopes high for getting the reply to your question. Answer is even USCIS does not know that is why every week it declares receipting time updates ( Today the new update is due, And I am just waiting for that....).

Every Friday between 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM EST clicking following link with change in the date within the link would give you the updates.

Latest update:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ReceiptingTimes081707.pdf

Right now waiting for:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/ReceiptingTimes082407.pdf

did USCIS update this week? i'm guessing they skipped the aug 31st report. i sent in my 485 the 20th and i got the receipt confirmation from USPS the 24th, so it got to their hand the 24th of august.

Hi,
my 485 package was received on 5th July at NSC. I sent it by FEDEX. No receipt notice. Ni cheques have been cashed yet. The NSC receipting update shows that they have completed receipting till 28th July. What should I do now

ssssk