• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How much money?

gallbladder

Registered Users (C)
I am one of the DV-2009 winner. I am married with no children yet. I do not have sponsor or job from US yet. But I have some money in my account. I would like to know exactly how much money do I need to have in my current account in order to satisfy the person at the time of the interview that I will not be a public charge when both and my wife immigrate to US?

Thank you in advance.

Hi and thank you for the answer. So, If I have more than 17,500 USD in my current account for me and my wife, do I need to bother about looking for a sponsor, getting affidavit of support, getting the form I-134, and bla bla bla......???

Hi and thank you for the answer. So, If I have more than 17,500 USD in my current account for me and my wife, do I need to bother about looking for a sponsor, getting affidavit of support, getting the form I-134, and bla bla bla......???
nope

The link from Glistenpearls is to the I-864 form which is the WRONG form for DV (it would be I-134). Since that form is for family-sponsoring, not "self-sponsoring" like the DV there is no household size of 1 listed on there. The complete poverty guidelines are here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html
Btw: don't rely on others to find all the information for you, try to find information on travel.state.gov and/or uscis.gov and/or by search in this forum (this statement is not directed to any particular person in this thread.... it is meant more in general)

I am DV winner 2009 and my interview date is October 14, 2008. I don't have enough money as much as they mentioned in poverty guidelines. I am a single applicant and have only $5000 in my bank account. I can't find any solution to increase my bank account. I also don't have job offer or sponsor. I hesitate whether i have to continue this process or not.

I am DV winner 2009 and my interview date is October 14, 2008. I don't have enough money as much as they mentioned in poverty guidelines. I am a single applicant and have only $5000 in my bank account. I can't find any solution to increase my bank account. I also don't have job offer or sponsor. I hesitate whether i have to continue this process or not.

Jong12, you are the only person that can determine if it is something you wish to continue or not. You need to weigh the plus and minus of the fee ($775) plus the cost of the medicals (~ $300). By reading all the experiences by other forum members you should be well informed enough to estimate what may happen in your situation should you present yourself at the embassy for an interview. At the say time one may never know, you could be the exception to the rule.

So my advice to you is; MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION , and do not rely on strangers who do not know your entire history or responsibilties nor burdens

My advice: Try it.... factors like work experience, education and ability to speak/write English matter as well... If the officer says that the 5grant are not sufficient, he will tell you to try to find a job or a sponsor and then to submit the additional information (usually the officers don't deny persons without enough right away, they give them the chance to get an affidavit). And since your interview is so early, you still have plenty time to do that afterwards.

And, how did you show you had enough money? Did you show your account? Did you ask for any official document from your bank? Is there any document related to the money you have they want/need to check?

THANKSS!!!

just bring your bank statements (printouts from online banking are okay). I have more than one bank account so I also brought a table which showed how much money I have in total (in addition to the bank statements).

Ok. I'll try to print the status of my account. I asked in my bank and they told me that they only can give me an official document where they say that I have an account there, but they can't assure how much I have :S. I hope prints from their web work.

Hey Jong12! Apa kabar? I noticed that you're from Indonesia too. Eventhough your money in the bank account is not enough, if I were you, I would still give it a try. Do you have any other assets other than your bank account like land, house, etc? That could be useful to show. Besides that, you need to also show that you have the right education and/or job experience to survive in the U.S.

I understand how low the average wage is in Indonesia compare to the U.S. It must be difficult to come up with the required $17,000.

If you are more comfortable writing and reading in Bahasa, look up the Indonesian DV thread in this forum: http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=280736

You can write in Bahasa and I can help you understand more about the DV process.

Good luck! :)

has anyone here ever went to the interview without the necessary amount in the bank statement and still managed to get the GC?

Oh ! I want to give you advice.You can borrow money from your parents,brothers and sisters,relatives or some good friends.Then don't forget to save into your bank account as soon as possible.And try to explain to the US immigration officer that why do you put big ammount of money into your bank account in very short time.Try your best and good luck to you !!! Don't give up easily !!!

Last edited by a moderator: