• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How many attempts did it take you before winning?

Funnily enough, the first I heard of the DV lottery was when a work colleague won it way back in the dark ages, it was probably within the first couple of years of it starting. Everything was done by mail in those days, I think they even sent in a paper form to enter.
The internet becoming more accessible has helped information access and verification for sure; up until the ds260 form became strictly fillable online and embassies could be contacted by email for questions and information clarification, there were barriers some barriers to information. At the time, I didn’t live near a US embassy with Immigrant visa processing capability, so the document gathering step + travel cost to attend an interview in another country without an exhaustive list of all steps, etc. made the whole idea of the DV program seem a bit odd without first hand account of previous DV selectees to answer most questions.

I was selected on the 2nd or 3rd attempt from Europe about 20 years ago.

PS--Regarding the discussion on reusing old photos: If there is one thing I learned in all my years in the US, it is that the US authorities will always tell you exactly what they want. I never had any problems in US government offices because I took their instructions, studied them, and followed them. I also have seen friends try to get by with "oh, they can't mean that, can they," and more often than not, the US really means it.

Last edited: