• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

How many attempts did it take you before winning?

Oh, my bad! Your first name sounded very French ;) I am participating for France indeed but been living in Canada for a while now.

No problem and its always good to meet new people, that is living the same experience with the DV Lottery.

OC region is more favorite in comparison to region EU ???
We have some numbers for FY 2015.

OC region:

Max CN 2306
Number of entrants 24,110
Chance of selection ≈ 9.5%

For a couple (two entries) the chance increased to a decent 18.2%.

I don't know if "bad entries" were eliminated from the 24,110 number before (not during) the draw. So the true chances could have been slightly higher, due to reduced competition.

The region was completely overselected. The chances to get a case number that made the cut, were 6.2% and 12%, respectively.

EU region (w/o U2):
Stripping Ukraine and Uzbekistan from the data one has

Max CN 17,675 (estimated)
Number of entrants 1,113,429
Chance of selection ≈ 1.6%

For a couple (two entries) 3.1%.
The region was almost current.

Oh, my bad! Your first name sounded very French ;) I am participating for France indeed but been living in Canada for a while now.
Hi Puda,

As I mentioned before I am also participating under the EU region (not France) and I do speak French. I also have been living in Canada for a while. Where are you in Canada?

We have some numbers for FY 2015.

For a couple (two entries) the chance increased to a decent 18.2%.

For a couple (two entries) 3.1%.

Hmmm! I wish! Each person gets 9.5% or 1.6% chances in your scenario. You can't add the figures. You just have 1 more chance to win not 18 or 3%.

Dreamer11 > I am in Calgary. Where do you live?

Hmmm! I wish! Each person gets 9.5% or 1.6% chances in your scenario. You can't add the figures. You just have 1 more chance to win not 18 or 3%.

Dreamer11 > I am in Calgary. Where do you live?
I'm in Toronto, but I lived in Montreal where I learned French. ;)

I'm in Toronto, but I lived in Montreal where I learned French. ;)
I lived 3 years in TO haha! Speaking French can be a good thing, not so much in Toronto I find. In AB, it's completely useless, just so you know.

@Pierre82

SA region:

There were way too many entrants for the available visas, and SA was grossly overselected in DV-2015.
The chance to get a case number that made the cut, was below 1%, just being selected ≈1.4%.
There is now a new player, Ecuador. Therefore, the number of available visas has increased, but so will have the number of entrants. I don't know how that pans out.

@Pierre82

By the way, I wouldn't infer too much from 2015. The number of entrants is key to the success rate. But that number changes over time quite a bit.
Entrants in DV2013–DV2015:

Nicaragua
2,945 / 2,213 / 1,538

Cuba
23,131 / 27,468 / 55,685

This is a huge net increase over time! Maybe the Cuban number drops back to a lower level, who knows? Other SA countries stayed fairly constant during that time. So, politics (?) and other things influence the number of entrants in SA region significantly, and therefore your "percentage".

Didn't we have an OC member on this forum who got selected with a too-high number and then did indeed get selected again and got a visa a year or two later? (Connectedspace if memory serves, but his footer only mentions a successful entry so it may be someone else?) Good thing memory isn't one of the qualifications for DV :D

Didn't we have an OC member on this forum who got selected with a too-high number and then did indeed get selected again and got a visa a year or two later? (Connectedspace if memory serves, but his footer only mentions a successful entry so it may be someone else?) Good thing memory isn't one of the qualifications for DV :D

Yes it most certainly has happened - I know several cases.

Yes it most certainly has happened - I know several cases.

Yes, it was @connectedspace. He was selected for DV2015 but missed out. Got selected fot DV2016 and is now in the states.

I forgot

Venezuela
39,918 / 47,539 / 51,963

The number of entrants was approximately 146, 000 for the whole region. So, Cubans and Venezuelans alone make up almost 3/4 of the entrants!

Thanks for the information Roger and lets hope Ecuador impacts in a positive way for my region. No doubt economic and political factors have increase the number of applicants in certain countries.