How long will my H-1B visa valid

yping

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Hope you guys can help me with this question.

I'm a Chinese and every time when I renew my H-1B visa, it only valid for 3 months with 2 entries. I just landed Canada a couple months ago. Does anyone know becoming a Canadian PR will change the length of valid time of my H-1B visa? The officer at the boarder told me that I can get the visa valid for 3 years or to the date my H-1B status expires with multiple entries. But I don't know how aacurate it is as I couldn't find any info on the website. If this is true, I can get my visa restamped now and travel abroad at any time. Otherwise I have to do it right before I travel which is always a pain.

If you don't know the answer and can refer me to some resources where I can find the info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

YP

How many times have you applied for H1 visa (stamp) ?
I don't see why they would give for 3 mos. as opposed to the length of the H1B. Is your PP expiring?

This is because the different treaties between US and different countries. For example, Thai people will get H-1B stamp valid for 5 years with multiple entries. But for Chinese citizens, only 3 months and 2 entries. I just wonder if Canadian PR status will change my situation.

Anybody knows?

Normally, a visa is valid for a maximum of 3 years.

Also, H-1B is mostly approved only for a maximum of 3 years;
after that, you need to renew it to a maximum of 6 years.

If LCA is pending for more than a year, after 6 years, you get it in 1 year increments.

To answer your question, normally you get it stamped until the H-1B VALID-UNTIL date on I-797 H-1B approval(which happens to be a maximum of 3 years).

I've heard chinese-nationals get only a 3-month visa because of some US-China regulations. I'm not sure if that differs, if you happen to be a canadian-resident too. You might want to iterate saying that you'll be frequently visiting canada and need a multiple-entry visa for the whole duration of H-1B approval.

Please consult with your lawyer who did you H-1B for added details, as I'm just giving my general opinion that can't be considered as legal advise.

Why don't to try to revalidate your visa in US. Hopefully you will get multiple entries for the complete duration.

All the best.

BaSh:cool:

Visa duration is regulated by mutual agreements between countries. If China does not allow visas for long periods and multiple entries for citizens of US, then US also reciprocates similarly in case of US visas for Chinese citizens. Aquiring Canadian LPR does not change this, you will still be governed by reciprocity rules applicable to China.