How long to get US passport?

mnsweeps

Registered Users (C)
We got naturalized on Ocvt 25 and applied for US passport same day at postoffice...It was regular application not expediated. My wife booked her ticket for India for Nov 22...after we get passport we will get a 6 month Indian visa at consulate..I know we had to hurry but I assume we get the passport within 3 weeks..

mnsweeps said:
We got naturalized on Ocvt 25 and applied for US passport same day at postoffice...It was regular application not expediated. My wife booked her ticket for India for Nov 22...after we get passport we will get a 6 month Indian visa at consulate..I know we had to hurry but I assume we get the passport within 3 weeks..

If you opted for regular processing, the wait time will be about 6 to 7 weeks from the day you applied. If you have urgency, you can call and change your application status to expedited. You will obviously have to pay the extra $$.

takadigi said:
If you opted for regular processing, the wait time will be about 6 to 7 weeks from the day you applied. If you have urgency, you can call and change your application status to expedited. You will obviously have to pay the extra $$.
I received my passport two weeks after I applied regular processing. I did put my travel date and country to visit on the form. At the time of application, my travel date was about five weeks away.

NJGoose said:
I received my passport two weeks after I applied regular processing. I did put my travel date and country to visit on the form. At the time of application, my travel date was about five weeks away.

You are absolutely right. If you put in your travel dates in the application itself, the processing time is cut down to 3 weeks from the regular 6 weeks. So, I can clearly understand how you got yours in 2 weeks.

what if the travel is tentative

takadigi said:
You are absolutely right. If you put in your travel dates in the application itself, the processing time is cut down to 3 weeks from the regular 6 weeks. So, I can clearly understand how you got yours in 2 weeks.
What if our travel plans are tentative. Can we just put those dates to speed up the passport process? or do we need to provide any proof that we have travel plans on those dates.

I got my passport in 3 weeks, regular processing, even though I had put in a travel date middle of next year. My application was processed by the Seattle office.

The same naturalization ceremony, I got my passport next day
(yesterday) in Wilshire Federal building. I made an appointment
for Oct 25th afternoon. Done and done :))))

On my wifes application we put nov 22 as travel date.....we need to get passport a few days before so that we can drive to SFO to get same day Indian visa. Does anyone if I can goto Wilshire passport office and ask them to process passport which was applied at post office?

Congratulations mnsweeps!

Could you share your oath ceremony experience with us @ Pomona ? I heard there are about 7000 people at Pomona that day .

Best wishes for you and your family

Thanks/J7

snowboarder said:
The same naturalization ceremony, I got my passport next day
(yesterday) in Wilshire Federal building. I made an appointment
for Oct 25th afternoon. Done and done :))))
CONGRATULATIONS! Snowboarder .

Could you tell us how you could get your passport next day ? any tips ?

Thanks/ J7

You can make an appointment for the day of your ceremony -
call 877-487-2778.

Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 1000

Take Veteran and drive around the building. The entrance
is from the paking side on your right. Don't take your camera phone!
You need a prove you have to travel within two weeks - a flight
reservation or a letter from your company will do it.
The latest appointment you can make is 2PM, but they are open
until 3PM, so it's fine to be a bit late (or earlier). It's also almost
empty at this hour (most people come in the morning).
The passport is ready for pickup the next day. Easy free parking.

Last edited by a moderator:
snowboarder said:
You can make an appointment for the day of your ceremony -
call 877-487-2778.

Federal Building
11000 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 1000

Take Veteran and drive around the building. The entrance
is from the paking side on your right. Don't take your camera phone!
You need a prove you have to travel within two weeks - a flight
reservation or a letter from your company will do it.
The latest appointment you can make is 2PM, but they are open
until 3PM, so it's fine to be a bit late (or earlier). It's also almost
empty at this hour (most people come in the morning).
The passport is ready for pickup the next day. Easy free parking.

do u know if I dont see my status or passport in my mailbox 2 weeks from the travel date, can I take appointment and go personally to passport office ?

jimmy777777 said:
Congratulations mnsweeps!

Could you share your oath ceremony experience with us @ Pomona ? I heard there are about 7000 people at Pomona that day .

Best wishes for you and your family

Thanks/J7

nothing special...My wife who had oath at 12.30 pm was allowed to come tith me at 8 am .Our 2 yr old girl ( US citizen) was allowed to come with us inside..no questions asked..compared to size of crowd they managed it very efficiently..

question for you all getting U.S. passports - are you getting the regular ones or the new e-passports?

i know you don't have a choice, but just wondering which ones the government is issuing these days.

CroATM said:
question for you all getting U.S. passports - are you getting the regular ones or the new e-passports?

i know you don't have a choice, but just wondering which ones the government is issuing these days.

I would be interested to know that too...SNOWBOARDER what kind did u get?

Call the National Visa Center and tell them your situation. My case was a little bit different, but it might work for you too. I applied for my passport and two days later my boss told me that I am supposed to travel overseas on assignment. I check my status online and I found that I was supposed to receive the passport a few days after I left the country. I called the National Visa Center and told the representative my situation. I was told to go pick up my passport the next day at the Passport Agency donwtown.

The difference in our case is that you are at a different location and my case was already expedited.

Good Luck,

Newly

Can you give the phone number of national visa center

Can you give the phone number of national visa center

Thanks
Kumar

Just checked my bank account and found that my check to DEPT OF STATE for $67 ( each passport ) has cleared today...Thats a good sign. But I dont see status of travel website..maybe like someone said the website tracking is not maintaned well.