how long I can wait on I-140 before filing I-485?

koray

Registered Users (C)
I am wondering, do I have to apply for the I-485 immidiately after I-140 approved or I can wait for some time?
The reason I am asking is I may have to leave the USA for about a year and come back.
If I file I-485 now I may have problems for paystub and tax RFEs?

Does anybody have an idea?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
An i140 approval is

seemingly forever. If the job promised in the LC/I140 is still available after a year, you can file for your I485 then. No Issues.

I agree with Jaxen

YUou can wait indefinitely as far as the rules are concerned as long as the I-140 is not cancelled. If there was a long delay INS could (I've never seen it happen but it could) question whether there really was a permanent job immediately available.

Thanks

Thanks Jim and Jaxen,
Here comes further question,
Do I have to continue to work or Can I take leave of absence for about a year, because I will not be able to work for the company when I am away ??? But I will contiune when I am back after a year.

Thanks

Similar case

I am in similar case. I am planning to go for my MBA. How long should I stay in after applying for 485 ? Can I take a 1 year leave of absense and go full time MBA ? Even if I take up part time MBA can I reduce my work hours to like 20hrs since I can take up a support role on a project.

Thanks