How long does it take to receive Passport Card now a days?

AAZZ

Registered Users (C)
I am wondering, how long does it take to receive Passport Card now a days? From application to getting in the mailbox.

Around three weeks, possibly less. If you haven't applied for one you should consider it as backup proof of citizenship in case you lose the passport book.

Thanks Huracan for info.

Yeah that is what I am thinking. But that chip thing bothers me. It is just a matter of time that some computer savvy teenager will figure out how to break into it, and then people will be stealing personal info from these cards remotely.

Around three weeks, possibly less. If you haven't applied for one you should consider it as backup proof of citizenship in case you lose the passport book.

The card itself has no personal information stored in RFID; it simply has a pointer to USCIS database.

Furthermore they send the card with a protective sleeve that should avoid this problem. nkm-oct23 is right that at most they can skim a number that is a pointer into USCIS database. I am not sure what could someone do with that information. Anyway, I have to confess that it also made me a bit nervous at the time, but with the protective sleeve and knowing it is just a number that eased my mind quite a bit.

Thanks Huracan for info.

Yeah that is what I am thinking. But that chip thing bothers me. It is just a matter of time that some computer savvy teenager will figure out how to break into it, and then people will be stealing personal info from these cards remotely.
Your passport also has an RFID device so there really is no difference in terms of risk.

umm... my understanding is:

1. As a matter of fact, this was the exact rationale used to justify Passport card. The card RFID is readable from longer distances as compared to Passport RFID. If u have any doubt.. guess what, they did not give you a sleeve for your passport.. did they? :)

2. I am not a database expert, but I would expect that card rfid (or for that matter Passport rfid) will carry more info than just a mere pointer to USCIS database. The minimum info will be what ever is written on each of the docs (Name, Gender, doc id #, data of issuace, etc.)

In Sept 2008, it took 5 business days for Passport, and 6 business days for Passport card to arrive at my home address, regular processing.

Applying For Passport Card After Receiving Passport Book?

Does anyone have experience with applying for a passport card after already receiving the passport book? I originally only applied for the passport book after being naturalized, but I am considering now applying for the passport card as well to have a backup proof of citizenship.

How long does it currently take to receive the passport card in this particular case, and does one receive the passport book back together with the card?

I assume that the passport card is a valid proof of citizenship even after it expires?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have experience with applying for a passport card after already receiving the passport book? I originally only applied for the passport book after being naturalized, but I am considering now applying for the passport card as well to have a backup proof of citizenship.

How long does it currently take to receive the passport card in this particular case, and does one receive the passport book back together with the card?

I assume that the passport card is a valid proof of citizenship even after it expires?

Thanks.

No, they will mail them back separately, in different packets.

For employment purposes, passport card, is the same as regular passport.
Form I9 states that expired passport is good enough proof of employment eligiblity.
For other purposes the individuals or organizations may refuse to accept expired passport.

Form I9 states that expired passport is good enough proof of employment eligiblity.
The current version of the I-9 form does. However, the new version that was supposed to have been adopted by now explicitly prohibits expired documents from being used. The introduction of this has been delayed because of concern over this one provision.

Thanks, harvydonald and dms1. One aspect of my question was related to the usage of the passport card as general proof of citizenship for, say, renewal of a passport. Can it be used when the passport card itself has expired? (This is hypothetical at this point, since I just got my passport, but I was wondering whether I can apply for the card and just file it away, rather than keeping it renewed/valid.)

umm... my understanding is:

1. As a matter of fact, this was the exact rationale used to justify Passport card. The card RFID is readable from longer distances as compared to Passport RFID. If u have any doubt.. guess what, they did not give you a sleeve for your passport.. did they? :)

2. I am not a database expert, but I would expect that card rfid (or for that matter Passport rfid) will carry more info than just a mere pointer to USCIS database. The minimum info will be what ever is written on each of the docs (Name, Gender, doc id #, data of issuace, etc.)

Partially right on #1. The passport has the skimming protection built in on the passport cover, so when the passport is closed it cannot be read.

Wrong on #2, the RFID of the passport card just gives you a number that is used to access your record in the database. Remember that the passport card is not an interoperable travel document. Among other things it means that foreign countries cannot access your record with that number. That's probably why the passport card is limited to gaining entry to the US. On the other hand the passport book RFID will give the information that is printed on the identification page (date of issuance, expiry date, name, etcetera). On the other hand it would be impossible to prevent if a foreign country reads the info on the front of your passport card (scan it) then know the number and use both to track your movement around their country. I don't think that would be widespread, but if you don't keep the passport card in the sleeve it would be theoretically possible. They don't have the database that links number to personal data, but it would be trivial to ask you for the card, scan it and then link both pieces of information in their own database ;)

Thanks, harvydonald and dms1. One aspect of my question was related to the usage of the passport card as general proof of citizenship for, say, renewal of a passport. Can it be used when the passport card itself has expired? (This is hypothetical at this point, since I just got my passport, but I was wondering whether I can apply for the card and just file it away, rather than keeping it renewed/valid.)

I don't know. No passport card can possibly have expired yet, so we would hae to wait a few years to find the answer to your question or read the fine print of the passport application to see whether you need a current passport card to apply for passport renewal. My best guess is that if you can use an expired passport book to renew for another passport book then it should be possible. However, it is possible that if you send an expired passport card they might void it and it might not be used for further renewals. It's all pure speculation.

What is factual is that if your previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago then you have to apply in person for a new passport (no mail renewal).