How long does it take for USCIS to update their data

justnew

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine got approval of his GC and has actually received the card three weeks ago. He has been to the SSA to apply for his SSN and uptill this day social security could not issue him a card because they claimed immigration has not updated there data. What can he do now and he just got a job but was asked to either bring the SS card or forget the job after three days.

It is hard to say exactly when. Did he apply for his I-765 Employment Authorization Document (EAD)? If he did, then he should have been able to go to Social Security to get number but sometimes they haven't received the information from USCIS into their system. Has he called the toll-free number about this. It might help for him to schedule an Infopass appointment to find out why.

If he only has 3 days to get the SSC for work, then it is likely he won't get the job because even when SS does receive the info from Immigration it takes at least 5 days to 2 weeks to get the card.

Employers can hire on a green card if they will accept some type of form that basically states Immigrant will apply for SS# within a certain amount of days after hired. (This is just by memory, I can't recall the exact details)

Here is a website that might help you get a more accurate answer.

http://experts.about.com/q/i.htm

Type "Immigration" in the 'search"

Yes he did applied for EAD but never got approved. he was only approved on his GC. Have you ever heard of this kind of suituation before and how was it resolved? Or he just has to wait for them to update their data whenever they wish. Without the SSN one can not get paid even if one gets a job.

when they are full of freedom fries...

justnew said:
A friend of mine got approval of his GC and has actually received the card three weeks ago. He has been to the SSA to apply for his SSN and uptill this day social security could not issue him a card because they claimed immigration has not updated there data. What can he do now and he just got a job but was asked to either bring the SS card or forget the job after three days.

People who work with the IT systems @ USCIS seems to be lazy. When they are fed with their freedom fries, then they rush to update all their records. :mad:

This is the same issues with name check, FBI clearly about 90% of name checks within 48 hrs and electronically send it back to the USCIS, but then USCIS usually realize after 6 months that candidate's name has been cleared.

Unfortunate.... but reality....

It is unfortunate....

justnew said:
So my friend will loss his job offer? It seems like there is nothing he can do right now.

Justnew...

It is unfortunate that the employer is not familiar with the process of immigration, because the inability of SSA to issue a SS Card, it doesn't disqualify him from employment.

To be honest, without this employer changing his mind about terminating his employment, then your friend will be best served to start looking for a new job. Also, he should make an info pass and explain to the officer his predicament, and see if they can't issue a letter of update for him.

I wish him luck....

Thanks Al Southner,

I will advice him to make an info-pass then?
The employer will not allow him resume because they need his SSN to put him on the payroll and also do their own checks too.

Thanks once more

My friend went for inforpass today and they entered his A# and it shows on the USCIS system, he was told everything looks good. He went back to social security office and they still could not find his name on their system. Has anyone ever had this problems in the past?
He may have to wait for God knows how long, meaning he can not get a job even with his GC with him.

Same here

He gotta wait. It takes between 4 and 6 weeks for the SSA to send request to USCIS and receive answer and then send a SS Card. It was like that 13 years ago when I applied for my SS#, it was like that 3 years ago when my relative applied for a SS#, it was like that 5 months ago when my spouse applied for SS# and it is now the same that my parent just applied for SS#. Ju just gotta wait! Even that the US system is the best in the world, still there is the "follow the rule" coeficient that does not let you do things as fast as we woud like to.

Peace out. :cool:

Thanks Durres Special,
What can he do the wait just continues. His main concern is not been able to work because he has no SSN.