How long does change of status from F1 to H4 take?

veenix

Registered Users (C)
Can somebody please help? I am thinking of asking my husband to come to the US on a F1 Visa. He has admission from an avg. but very expensive private university and is yet to attend the consulate interview. Since the course is quite expensive and his chances of coming on a dependant visa (H4) instead are relatively minimal, can we apply for a change in status for him from his f1 to h4 once he comes down, i.e. he comes down as a student but we apply for a change of status when he does come down. is this doable? how long does it take to do this?

i'd be very grateful if you cud throw some light into this issue. thank you in advance.

veenix said:
Can somebody please help?

I am thinking of asking my husband to come to the US on a F1 Visa.
He has admission from an avg. but very expensive private university and is yet to attend the consulate interview.

---I would suggest you to get fairly affordable University for his admission, get him here, and let him attend the first semister. That way he can get social security number as well. (I dont know of any recent policy changed in getting SS#).

Since the course is quite expensive and his chances of coming on a dependant visa (H4) instead are relatively minimal, can we apply for a change in status for him from his f1 to h4 once he comes down, i.e. he comes down as a student but we apply for a change of status when he does come down. is this doable? how long does it take to do this?

---This is totally doable, he can change his status after he came to US, but he has to attend first semister once he gets here, or otherwise considered to be out-of-status. It will probably take between 2-3 months to adjust his status, depends on what service center you apply to. Get in touch with your attorney who filed your H1B petition, and he will explain you more.

i'd be very grateful if you cud throw some light into this issue. thank you in advance.

Hope this helps. And good luck to F1 visa.

veenix said:
Can somebody please help? I am thinking of asking my husband to come to the US on a F1 Visa. He has admission from an avg. but very expensive private university and is yet to attend the consulate interview. Since the course is quite expensive and his chances of coming on a dependant visa (H4) instead are relatively minimal, can we apply for a change in status for him from his f1 to h4 once he comes down, i.e. he comes down as a student but we apply for a change of status when he does come down. is this doable? how long does it take to do this?

Why can't he come here with H4.