how long d you need to be with same employer

schandrag

Registered Users (C)
I obtained my GC in march 2003. I have been with the same employer since October 1998. However, now in April 2004 I am changing employement. How long does one have to satay with the employer who petitioned for permanent residence? will my move jeopardize my citizenship application later?

schandrag

After I-485 submitted, we have to wrok atleast 180 days then after you can work any ompany. Once you get the GC then you can change job.
You worked almost a year after getting GC , now you can change your job.

Thanks for the advice

I was concerned because I knoew one was accepting the PR status with a intent to work for a lindefinite period for the employer who sponsored the PR.
I am heartened to know that I will be safe with 1 year of post PR employment.

Joe please advice

JoeF
I got layed off one month after getting GC.
My employer layed me off & I was out of job for almost two months & found a job finally. Now my employer is not giving me any experience certificate/termination letter.

What will happen to my Citizenship, will it be in jeopardy?

what kinda documents do u need to keep

i am curious when u apply for citizenship
what kinda documents u need to show that u worked
for the emplyer after GC

Are these documents required by default as part
of ur citizenship application or comes as some kinda
RFE.

Do we have to keep these documents for 5 yrs?

I have a question for the legal gurus on this board:

I have had my GC (employment-based) for more than 18 months now, and want to pursue education (this fall) in a field unrelated to my present job. and to eventually get a job in that new field.

Is that allowed? Would it effect my citizenship process later on?

If it does, I find it hard to believe that a GC (employment-based) would keep you in the same field for life, especially since my field (technology) is really wobbly these days.

thanks in advance.

Thanks JoeF...

Thats a relief....that's what I thought because otherwise I don't really see the difference between an H1 and a GC.

JoeF,

I have a question which haunted me for quite some time. If I get my green card through NIW, do I have to stay in the same field forever, or it is OK to go to a different field after some additional time (say, 6 month)???

I am applying NIW now. I am not sure whether I will venture into another area later on. But if applying NIW closes the options for me to change to another field in the future, I will consider it as a serious problem.

What is your opinion?

Thank you very much