How long can we stay in Canada according to Canadian Law?

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
We permanent residents don\'t need a visa to go to Canada
for causual tourist or business purpose. But I never know how
long we can stay there by Canadian laws. There is even no tracking.
Is there any upper limit?

If there is no limit in the eyes of Canadian law, then I assume
that we can stay until the American INS revoke our GC because
they think we abandon the USA residence

No Title

If you say to canadian authorities at border post that you are going
to stay in canada for long duration, I\'m sure they wont even let you in. Moreover they may pass your license plate and passport info
to US authorities for investigation.

No Title

I want to know if there is any hard measure for Canadian
immigration to track. Last time I went there, they
did not record my passport info. Sure I drove across
the border but did they record my license number?
I could ride other people\'s cars.

There are many

who come to the U.S. undocumented, and stay here for long time. What are you trying to get to? Go to the Canadian immigration website, and search for the limits on visitor stays. By the way, it works in a similar way from Canada to U.S. (or it used to work before Sept. 11), i.e. no stamp on passport, but I doubt one can stay here indefinitely in that way. I am still baffled about what is your point. Why would someone like to do that? How about not being able to work while being there for an extended period of time, and if you have money to sustain yourself, why not trying to immigrate legally?

My puzzled 2 cents.

No Title

It is natural for one to stay more 2 or 3 months
(that is why so many of us voiced against this
new 30-day stay for tourists rule). I want to
make sure I will not overstay my welcome
in Canada

No Title

There is indeed a law, and as a visitor you are allowed to stay for up to 6 months. You may file an extension to stay beyond the 6 months once you\'re in Canada. For those on a visa your allowed visit duration may be shorter.

When you arrive in Canada at an airport, you must complete a customs declaration form which you present to the customs / immigration inspector. You must indicate the intended duration of your visit on this form and may be questioned on this by the inspector (i.e. provide proof you intend to return home, such as a round-trip ticket).
They will stamp your passport and it is very likely they will scan your passport (if machine readable) or enter its identificaton data into their system. Even I as a Canadian citizen am often asked about my visit duration to Canada, and my Canadian passport has many stamps from entries at Canadian aiports.

As you probably know, procedures at a land border crossing are simpler. In most cases, they accept your verbal declaration of customs information, but will still likely ask you the intended duration of your visit. It is also much less likely that your passport will be stamped, especially if you respond that your visit is

Do i still need a visitor\'s visa to enter canada....

My passport is stamped for GC recently. But i am yet to receive the physical card from INS.
From your postings i understand that there is no need for visitor\'s visa if a person a GC in USA with an Indian passport.
Next month i plan to visit Canada on a business trip. Do i still need a visitor\'s visa to enter Canada or the stamping is good enough for the Canadian immigration authorities to understand.
Please let me know if any one of you have come across a situation like this.

No Title

You don\'t need a visa. Canadian Immigration inspectors know the stamp is equivalent evidence of your status.

No Title

at the border post there are camaras that capture your license plate,
occupants faces, passport pages etc ..even xray that can tell whats
in your trunk..