How long before changing career?

Stratos

Registered Users (C)
I have a question for the gurus:

I was approved last week to work in a technical field. A management position has become available and I'm considering going for it. Am I truly free to opt for that option at this point? Can it jeopardize my status in any way since it would appear that I did not assume the role, my permanent residency was based on, for long?

As always, I will appeciate you input.

Learned from ppl who shared info that

keep same position/job/company atleast six months for ur safe side....

its upto you you are free person :D .

Is this really true?

What if I change jobs but remain in the same field?

I thought those r all old rules. I talked with my attorney and she said, there is nothing anyone can do if I change jobs or careers.

Is 6 months from approval date or stamp date or card received date? Any idea?

Anyone else has another opinion?

Madhav

Being cautious is good. But does anayone know of cases where people have had problems with their GC renewal or Citizenship application becauses they changed their careers or switched jobs right after they received their GC?

I'm in a similar situation - getting an approval last week and pondering my options wrt my job. There are many suggestions, depending on who you talk to and all of them are personal opinions. This is due to the fact that the only "constraint" is that the employee should show "intent of permanent employment" in "good faith" to the employer who sponsored the GC. What is the benchmark for "intent"? 6mos/1yr/till you retire? Same field of expertise? A case may be made for each one of these situations. You make the call.
Other school of thought - if govt allows job movement before GC approval (AC21), why not after? Infact after GC, you have more leeway than before!!
I believe we are in a similar situation that we faced while applying for a F1 student (non-immigration) visa. Initially, the burden of proof is on the applicant to prove his/her "intent" of not immigrating. Our current situation is very similar to that. You can provide all documentation you want, in the end, it is upto the visa officer to decide whether you get the visa or not! Similarly for our current situation, my understanding is that such disputes/complaints will be arbitrated by an immigration office. I do agree with harveydonald that the only way to understand these "benchmarks" is to get info from those who have such experience! I don't know if that info is available in this forum??
RD:7/01
ND:8/01
AD:6/04

I think it is more a matter of which quote you subscribe to:

Just do it - I can bet nobody got in trouble before :)
Bold and Beautiful - Try it and let us know :D
Better Safe than Sorry - Your MOM always said it right :eek:
Past will come back to Bite ya - 911 and after, RULES limbo :confused:
Past is always not a true reflection of future - :cool: