How GC does not affect my life

gcstrat

Registered Users (C)
Guys and Gals

While the uncertainty regarding the GC process affects us, we have learned to live with it and have done things, irrespective of GC being there or not.

I though in this thread we can start listing things we have done without letting GC process take over our lives.

Here are some of the things I have done:

* ---> Bought a house
* ---> Became "more" qualified by achieving two professional certifications. I am thinking of a third one.
* ---> I am helping students in their studies pro-bono
* ---> I have presented on India at schools. Helped other people who were giving presentations on India.
* ---> Taught pro-bono at a Sunday school. I plan to get more active this year onwards
* ---> Travelled to various tourist destinations and enjoyed!

I will add more stuff as I recall.

Regards,

GCStrat :)

Here is what we did...

We didn't let the Gc thing come in our way.Here is what we did..

1. Did some trainings and went to college for some days
2. Bought a House
3. I started work on EAD (earlier could not work cause of H4 status)
4. My kid got the admission into the Govt. elementary school in the category of developmental delay at the age of 3 . So that way we are utilizing the tax money that we paid in the form of free school and library.
5. My spouse is changing jobs on EAD whenver he had to without having breaks. whoever the new employer we wouldn't care.

We heard that it's not safe to change jobs quite often. But we don't care. As far as we can stay here we can make some money and if they reject GC ,we can go back to home country with sufficient money to live happily ever after.

That my story...

what do people want to do after getting GC...get a better job, move to nice City, etc.. that's what i'm doing now using AC21

Here is what I've done
1) Came to US 6 years ago thru a Consulting Co. Started my GC thru them
2) Got a plum permanent job offer with a mid-size Co with lucrative Stock options. Took it thru H1 transfer. Restarted the GC
3) Got to EAD. Used AC-21 and now work for a multi-billion dollar co

Here is what I didn't do
1) Promoted to work as a Project Manager last year. Took the role/hike. Didn't take the designation(Got confused abut the 'similar' job clause....I now regret that....I'll take it this year if offered in my ann. review)
2) Didn't buy a house(GC not the only reason...no regrets)

Here is what I'll ACTUALLY do the day I get the GC
1) Be more risk-taker
2) Work part-time or totally switch careers to find what I like doing not bcoz I've to

Its for us...

All you guys are in a much better situation than the better chunk..I guess people who are waiting for the GC very badly are the ones who cannot file 485 (means they dont have EAD to change jobs) and are in the final stages of their 6 year H1 term.

I am still consulting in my 6th year and though i want to change jobs(take a permenent offer), i cant do.I have to reject nice permenent jobs with decent positions just because i dont have a GC.I have to stay with my employer even if i dont like him.Its just as simple as - i cant do anything except sit tight.

Yeah, I agree with cool_desi_gc..

I think the title should be something like "How not filing I-485/EAD does not affect my life"

Everyone so far replied has EAD.. The one who is still on H1 and whose labor is pedning, approved, I-140 is approved is in not as free to do whatever he wants..

gcstrat said:
Guys and Gals

While the uncertainty regarding the GC process affects us, we have learned to live with it and have done things, irrespective of GC being there or not.

I though in this thread we can start listing things we have done without letting GC process take over our lives.

Here are some of the things I have done:

* ---> Bought a house
* ---> Became "more" qualified by achieving two professional certifications. I am thinking of a third one.
* ---> I am helping students in their studies pro-bono
* ---> I have presented on India at schools. Helped other people who were giving presentations on India.
* ---> Taught pro-bono at a Sunday school. I plan to get more active this year onwards
* ---> Travelled to various tourist destinations and enjoyed!

I will add more stuff as I recall.

Regards,

No offense.... but it is because, none of these activities require a GC. I am in the same boat like yourself.
The fact is... without GC, it took away your freedom (or right) to choose in some areas.

Guess what I have come to .. I am about to change my job with 485 not yet filed.With my experience I am being offered almost twice the salary with another employer.

I am only hoping that with my approved I-140 I will be able to retain my priority date on resuming ( re-starting ) the GC process. Do I automatically retain my old PD ?

My friend Brain Drain dude...Thats a gray area that no one is comfortable, answering.We havent seen any people comfortably going that path as the rules are not very clear.I thought of taking that path but backed off,fearing that will screw up my GC process.I am back to my old path waiting and waiting for my PD to be current.GOd knows when that will be ???????????

Yes Cool Desi,

I know what you mean. But I cannot bear some things with my current employer and I am going to fire them :) Also the company that I plan to join is on a solid standing with great opportunitiies in future so I am hoping things will be better rather than waiting a lifetime for PD to become current.I am ready to take this risk in my particular case.

I just hope this grey area turns in my favor maybe with the help of a good lawyer that now I will be able to afford.

cool_desi_gc said:
My friend Brain Drain dude...Thats a gray area that no one is comfortable, answering.We havent seen any people comfortably going that path as the rules are not very clear.I thought of taking that path but backed off,fearing that will screw up my GC process.I am back to my old path waiting and waiting for my PD to be current.GOd knows when that will be ???????????

What I did while waiting 485 retro

I did:

1. bought a house
2. Brought my daughter to special education due to delay development for free since she was 3
3. took MCSE, OCP 9i, CISSP, CCNA, just for ... leisure and no way to use
4. denied the solution of divorcing my wife and take citizen girl ( what a shame !!! I came to US for my daughter's and my wife's life )

What I did not:
1. have a second child . My friends recommend to have another child birth here and get "anchor" citizenship.
2. play around with stock markets
:D

That's the point

Belacut

That's the point - there are many things you can do. Why let GC come into your way?

Also, I understand we are losing "Freedom" due to GC delays. But, the GC process is something we CANNOT control.

And I understand many people on H-1B work with employers who are just out to exploit them.

But there are lost of things in life that we can CONTROL.

Also remember, POWER like BEAUTY is in the EYE of the BEHOLDER. There are many ways you can let your employer know that it is in HIS best interests not to mess with you.

Regards

gcstrat said:
That's the point - there are many things you can do. Why let GC come into your way?

It all depends -- I work for a direct employer .... paid little less than my friends who work for consulting firms... but again I have peace of mind with quite stable job .. and for most this GC wait does not all affect me.

But in sharp contrast .. one of my friend .. he works for a consulting company .. and after they filed for GC .. they are getting more juice out of him .. they have reduced his salary too ... so he is waiting for the GC to complete but for retrogression.

So it all depends .. I would have been in my friends boots too .. as I had an offer from the same company where my friend works, long time back.

Yes, GC shouldn't come in the way of our progress....i m only in my 2nd year of H1 but have already bought a house...my labor was applied last year (under perm) and last month my 140 was approved.....now i m waiting either the for the PD to become current or a legislative change to file 485....but i m not worried that much.........the only reason i want a GC is to maintain a legal status......in the case the company lays me off......otherwise I as such don't care about a GC!!!

GC gets important when you are approaching your final years of your H1.And i dont know why people link buying a house,training etc with their GC process.

Anyway I guess each individual person has their plans abfter GC.For me GC is towards getting into a better job,have a stable legal status.Worst thing is we cant change employers.As i told you, i have rejected better jobs just bcoz i dont have GC or an EAD.

eb3_retro said:
Yes, GC shouldn't come in the way of our progress....i m only in my 2nd year of H1 but have already bought a house...my labor was applied last year (under perm) and last month my 140 was approved.....now i m waiting either the for the PD to become current or a legislative change to file 485....but i m not worried that much.........the only reason i want a GC is to maintain a legal status......in the case the company lays me off......otherwise I as such don't care about a GC!!!

You will know of what are the troubles of not have EAD or GC when,

1. When priority dates does not reach your date until 6th or 7th year.
2. Your company does not raise your salary for next 5 years,
3, Or your company plans to do layoffs during your 6th year on H1,

Many have faced this and is the reason why are in this forum to get out of the mess..

True ..

asdqwe2k2 said:
You will know of what are the troubles of not have EAD or GC when,

1. When priority dates does not reach your date until 6th or 7th year.
2. Your company does not raise your salary for next 5 years,
3, Or your company plans to do layoffs during your 6th year on H1,

Many have faced this and is the reason why are in this forum to get out of the mess..

asdqwe2k2,

I totally sympathize with the cause of people who are almost at the end of their H1 B visas and are unable to file their 485s. There is no doubt that the reprecussions of retrogression are being felt to the fullest extent by this unfortunate community of immigrants. It is the inherent nature of these immigration laws to have drastically different effects on people depending on the stage of the processes they are in. I increasingly find immigrants inadvertently generalizing their own situation to paint either a really bleak or an overtly optimistic outlook. It is almost impossible for any of us to truly understand the plight of a fellow immigrant whose situation might look similar on the outside but may be completely different on the inside.

All we can do is hope that this retrogression ends and brings relief to everyone at some level.

regards,

saras

Agree

asdqwe2k2

I agree with you completely.

All I can say, is that, if you CAN get away from companies that exploit, do that while you are in your 2nd/3rd/4th year of H-1 B. By that time, you would have an idea how your employer is.

But, for some reason, you could not switch, all I can say is have faith.

As they say, life is full of good times and bad times. May be it is better that bad times have come in the days of youth where you can handle them. If you had your share of bad times already, the future probably holds GOOD times.

Regards

gcstrat said:
asdqwe2k2

As they say, life is full of good times and bad times. May be it is better that bad times have come in the days of youth where you can handle them. If you had your share of bad times already, the future probably holds GOOD times.

Regards

Hey GCStrat,
I like your optimism (and the quote!).
It is my sincere wish too that one day all our immigration owes go away. Lucky are those people who got GC already and who only worry about other facets of life.

One thing that is clear to me is that no matter how confident and strong one might be, politics and socio-economic conditions have a huge influence on one's well-being. On one side the Immigration bill does not go anywhere while the economy, on the other side, roller-coasters! Both bill and economy caused severe trauma in our lives.

Never had I thought that I would pause my future endeavors just for some document. unrealistic.

But, I only hope the best. May be its only the good-time that I have for rest of my life!!

Last edited by a moderator: