How former J2 file family immigration?

kikirock

I am currently a F-1, and I was a J-2 about 6 years ago. My father was J-1, but he went back to home country for over 5 years. I just got married to a us citizen. Do I still need wavier (since J-1 already worked at home country for years) before filing family based immigration?

[B]I am currently a F-1, and I was a J-2 about 6 years ago. [/B]My father was J-1, but he went back to home country for over 5 years. I just got married to a us citizen. Do I still need wavier (since J-1 already worked at home country for years) before filing family based immigration?

no you dont need any waiver. your case is absolutely straight forward dude. congratulations

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently a F-1, and I was a J-2 about 6 years ago. My father was J-1, but he went back to home country for over 5 years. I just got married to a us citizen. Do I still need wavier (since J-1 already worked at home country for years) before filing family based immigration?

If the J1 sponsor worked even for 100 years in home country will not drop the 2 year requirement for the J2 dependents. If your J 2 visa require 2 year home country, you still need either the waiver or to go home country for 2 years. Neither marriage nor getting F visa will fix the issue. The other problem is that the J1 sponsor is not in US, if I understand it correctly, and applying for waiver for the J2 is much difficult and restricted to certain situations.