How easy is it for US educated RN to get a green card

texancanadian

Registered Users (C)
How easy is it for RN today to get a green card ?

My spouse is currently planning to get admission in a 2 yr Associates degree in nursing program at a community college in the US. Once she completes she is eligible to sit for the national exam and become an RN.

I had a few questions.

1) At this time how easy is it for a new RN graduating from a US nursing program to get a job ? My wife is currently on H4.

2) Will she have to give any language/qualification exams etc like foreign nurses (given that she graduated from a US program).

3) How long would it normally take for her to get Green card ? (I know that for RN's labor cert is exempt).

4) Any chance she can apply for GC with my priority date (August 2001) ?

5) Between the time she becomes an RN and the time she finally gets green card, under what visa can a hospital hire her ?

6) Anyone know the difference in salaries for RN's with an associates degree v/s those with bachelors (BSN) ?

Thanks

I think its easy to get GC via spouse petition if she ever gets her RN degree, as we all know that she doesn't have to go thru labor certification step.

1) At this time how easy is it for a new RN graduating from a US nursing program to get a job ? My wife is currently on H4.

---Once she passes her state exam, NCLEX-RN, she becomes eligible to practice her degree. As predicted the shortage in US is always at high stake, chances are she can get hired soon the time she clears NCLEX-RN. In order to pass the exam, she should have the social security number. This exam was limited in US before, now its available outside the US, meaning how people can apply for the test when they have no SS??

2) Will she have to give any language/qualification exams etc like foreign nurses (given that she graduated from a US program).

---I think TOEFL is the must to go to school in here, so if school accepts her without any test, she would be ok.

3) How long would it normally take for her to get Green card ? (I know that for RN's labor cert is exempt).

---She has to go thru the same steps as we do. First 140 then 485. You have to make sure when she files 485, the visa number should be current.

---I highly doubt it, but you can check with the attorney. I don't think its likey to happen anyway.

5) Between the time she becomes an RN and the time she finally gets green card, under what visa can a hospital hire her ?

---I would transfer her H4 to F1. Once her degree is over, she can stay in OPT for a year. If the visa number is there, she can get her GC within a year, staying in OPT. If the visa number is still not current, she can apply for H1B visa, and continue working in the same visa until the visa number becomes current. For more details in getting H1B, please refer to this web link. http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/NurseMemo_112702.pdf

6) Anyone know the difference in salaries for RN's with an associates degree v/s those with bachelors (BSN) ?

---It really depends on what area she is going to serve, I mean the location that she intends to work, and the duty she performs. I think the work she perform makes more money. Please refer to the salary calculator link in CNN for futher details. If she ever becomes nurse practitioner, she makes 100-150K in average, but that requires MS degree plus 3 years of extensive trainning.

http://salary.money.cnn.com/

i am not sure what area u are writting from, but i did exactly what u r asking about. I came on an F-1 visa and i am an RN trained in the USA. I did the associates degree, and depending on the hospital u work for, there is no difference in the pay for an RN or a BSN. I am in the process of obtaining my green card, and i had to file for I140, 485, work permit and travel document. I am currently on OPT, but it will expire by the time the GC comes... I have my work permit approved and i have also been approved for the travel document... my i140 is pending...(this is the first time my hospital is doing this for a nurse) so hopefully all will be positive.

encourage your wife to complete her nursing school. it will be very rewarding when she is done, and working only 3 days a week as full time. Some agency's pay as much as 45 per hour for critical care (which is what i do), and $75-$125 if doing home health... its really good... but ofcourse it also has its short comings.

cheers!

Thanks Zangose

We are in Texas. My only concern is if my wife will be able to work between passing her nursing exams and the time her green card comes through. Since she is on H4 she will not be eligible for OPT,do you know if there are any other visas out there she can work on ?
Where are you located ?
Thanks

i am canadian was working in ks

Even if you go to school in US you need to meet requirements until gc comes through once gc is approved i don't think she needs visa screen but could be wrong

See above.

don't know have not applied for my gc at this time

Not sure if she can be. since gc is already being applied for she does not qualify for TN status.

Like everyone has already said much depends on hospital. if she is in floor position based on experience, not much. if hospital gives bonuses based on higher education then yes. most places i have worked take into account years of exp instead of degree/diploma

I believe that she stil needs visa screen:
Why ? BC USCIS is run by brain amputated monkeys and bc the nursing college is greedy.

Last edited by a moderator: