How does USCIS know I have used EAD?

mimihu

Registered Users (C)
This is a question that has confused me for a long time.

I understand when I use EAD to work, I need to show my EAD card to HR and fill in I-9 with my EAD information. But HR told me they just keep I-9 for record, in other words, they do not submit I-9 to any governmental authorities. Then how does USCIS know whether I have used EAD or not?

mimihu, i had exactly the same question as I had used my EAD for a position as a student- I did not technically work, but recieved money for my position. I don;t remember even filing I-9, but maybe I did.

Another poster repsonded to my question saying that UsCIS knows becuase IRS reports information to them. I am yet to find out the truth as I was not aware my postion was considered work- and hence I would be off of H4 status.

Can anyone anwer differetn fron IRS information?

I don't think they know, other than by you saying "yes" in some future form that asks this question.

jacquelina, I don't think USCIS knows from the info. IRS reports to them. IRS reports tax information from which they can not tell whether you work with H1 or EAD or any other visas.

why would IRS report tax info to UCIS? i do not think UCIS has any links to ur income unless u send them W2 & tax returns.

UCIS may be able to procure the info from IRS if they want to , but as far as i know there is no direct link in place

josamdee said:
why would IRS report tax info to UCIS? i do not think UCIS has any links to ur income unless u send them W2 & tax returns.

UCIS may be able to procure the info from IRS if they want to , but as far as i know there is no direct link in place
IRS will not inform USCIS. Social security administration will inform to the CIS. There is memorandum dated in 2002 which says they report it USCIS. I am unable to get that link.

When USCIS raises an RFE for w2 all they are checking whether you were maintaining the status or did you work without authorization.

USCIS doesn't care if we use EAD. They will definitely find out if we work without EAD and give us hell at some time in future. Besides employers are supposed to keep I-9 in their files, so if they get inspected by USCIS (e.g. anonymous phone call about illegal immigrants working), they can protect themselves.