how does USCIS handle hyphenated last names during naturalization?

danny1968

:confused:I have a hyphenated last name like Salerno-Sonnenberg (using my favourite violinist's last name as a example)

unfortunately, the USCIS issued my greencard without the hyphen, so it reads "Salerno Sonnenberg, Danny" which is not a big deal, because the comma is there to separate the last name and first name. I had asked the USCIS a few time, in person, but was always told that's how their computer system handles it.

not really a problem in daily life, since my state-issued driver license has no problem showing my name as "Danny Salerno-Sonnenberg"......................

However, I saw my cousin's naturalization certificate which was issued a few days ago. It didn't have the hyphen. So it made "Salerno" the middle name and "Sonnenberg" the last name. My cousin said the interview officer said there was nothing that can be done about this.... so my cousin just gave up.

does anyone here who got naturalized have a hyphenated last name? if so, how does it show on your naturalization certificate?

I don't have experience on this. In my case I chose the path of dropping part of the last name instead of hyphenating. It seems it is a hit and miss, some government agencies allow hyphens, some don't. Best thing would be to ask the IO if something can be done. I hope someone can share their experience, but this is not the most common case. Personally, I don't like the hyphenating route, imagine you end up with John Smith-Doe-Johnson-Washington-Franklin and it could go on ;) In my humble opinion the U.S. should do like in Hispanic countries, one last name from each parent goes into the child name, women don't lose their last names when getting married. It is clearer for children, it is clearer for divorced women. It always amuses me all the trouble here in the U.S. with women in power either using their maiden name, combination of maiden and married, it would be better if they could keep the same name from cradle to grave.