How does USCIS generate WAC numbers

novis

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to start a series for WAC03(with WAC02 series still under processing, it may be a bit early). So before I venture I want to find out how USCIS generate the WAC numbers?

The receipt notice for all applications received by CSC being WAC-03-XXX-YYYYY, I want to verify the range of values for XXX & YYYYY to reduce number of invalid queries.

1. Is the range for XXX: 001-365 ? If not, what is the correct range?
2. Is the range for YYYYY: 50000-59999 ? If not, what is the correct range?
3. How does USCIS dtermine the values of XXX & YYYYY?
4. What does '03' mean in WAC-03-XXX-YYYYY? I checked out that it cannot be the year '2003'

Kashmir and other gurus, please help?

Thanks in advance

Two first numbers indicate the fiscal year in which the application was initially put on the center's computers.

The next set of three numbers indicates the business day of the fiscal year when the case was input (i.e. 001 is the first business day of the fiscal year).

The final five numbers are specific to the individual case file.

Tasse,

Thanks for your post. Just one more info required - What is the range of final five numbers that are specific to the individual case file.

Is the range 50000 - 59999 or 00000-59999?

for immigrant visas the no always start with 5 there are no exceptions. If they have to they will open the packets for the following WAC no. therefore sometimes ND are jumbled because
if too many applications come on one day

Thanks for the info guys! While I was aware of the 50000 start, din't know about the 59999 end range. It is good to know!

Not sure about that

My Receipt Date is October 2002, with a Notice Date of November. I got the receipt in November.

However my WAC number is 03029.

Figure that out.

I assume the fiscal year starts in October then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Not sure about that

Originally posted by Dadagiri
for immigrant visas the no always start with 5 there are no exceptions. If they have to they will open the packets for the following WAC no. therefore sometimes ND are jumbled because
if too many applications come on one day
I know at least one series, 01-264, where it goes up to wac012646xxxx. But this is a rare case.

Originally posted by Exile_2001
My Receipt Date is October 2002, with a Notice Date of November. I got the receipt in November.

However my WAC number is 03029.

Figure that out.

I assume the fiscal year starts in October then?

fiscal year starts on October 1, and 29th business day of this fiscal year can be in November.

The numbers

Just take one example:

WAC 03-124-52333

03 means fiscal year 2003, which started on 10/1/2002 and ended on 9/30/2003. So if your ND is 10/1/2004, you will have a WAC number of WAC 04-001-xxxxxx.

124 refers to the number of working days for USCIS. It's the 124th working day since 10/1/2002. Because USCIS doesn't work over weekends or holidays the maximimum number for these three digits is below 300.

52333. This number begins with 50001 and the biggest number depends on the number of cases received by CSC on that day. If CSC receives more than 10000 cases, this number can go to 6xxxxx. On some days CSC doesn't receive as many cases so this number may end much lower, say, 56xxx.

but these numbers are not consecutive for a case type. like I have atleast 5-6 consecutive numbers before & after mine as I-190 wherase mine is I-485.