How does the priority data play a role???

gist

Registered Users (C)
To give an example if an EB3 applicant with priority date January 1998 and and EB2 applicant with PD December 1999 - both cleared their I-140s now. And Assuming that both have their PD\'s in respective categories are current - and hence (a) EB2 candidate applied for AOS/I485 on Dec 1st 2000 (b) EB3 candidate applied for AOS/I485 on Jan 3rd 2001.
(Both say in VSC)

My question is - whose case would INS be processing first?

Thanks for your clarification

No Title

My understanding is this:
Priority date determines when you are allowed to apply for 485. And people from all categories enter the same queue (1 queue per country). After that point, it is FIFO (theoretically). But since applications are given to an officer in batches (segments taken from the queue), last person in the first batch gets processed later than first person in the second batch. Here is an example to make you understand.

Let us say there are 20 applications in the queue and 2 officers are ready to start processing.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7 ,8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Numbers represent EAC numbers, so biggest number is the last application received.

When this is distributed to officers in batches of 5, (FIFO order - oldest application taken out first)
Officer 1 gets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Officer 2 gets: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Both start processing (FIFO order - oldest application first)
1 and 6 get processed first. Here even though 2, 3, 4 and 5 applied before 6, they are still waiting.

Notice that bigger number of application in each batch, more are the people who get to wait unfairly.

No Title

KiranHegde2,
According to your theory people from the countries with very few applicants should get their I-485 approved in no time -- separate que for each country. However, the history (@ immitracker) shows that it is not the case and people from countries "OTHER" wait about the same as Indian people. Any theories?

No Title

I have two things to say:
- May be everyone is put on the same queue (not one per country). or
- Less number of officers are assigned to countries with less applicants (so that overall time remains same).

First one is more probable. So you can substitute one of this into that theory.

No Title

Here is another theory:
What if there is a common pile and each officer is pulling one file at a time to process !! Then it is fair to all applicants since it will be FIFO pipeline. Right?
But who knows INS strategies to comment/suggest anyway?Just wait with your fingers "X"d.

No Title

This is very unlikely, we surely know that INS is not doing pure FIFO. I heard that officers are assigned blocks of applications. This is what an IIO told me. So, I think they are trying to process applications qucker by reducing time wasted in waiting for next application (or going to get them). So, overall they would have processed more applications this way. But it is disappointing to most applicants that some of the applications that were filed after them get processed quicker.

No Title

As far as INS is concerned there is no logic and applying theories is just a waste of time as all of you know by now looking at the history of approvals and FP notices.

No Title

Correct - except PDs that are not current go back on another shelf to be checked again later.