How does one Reply to RFE

puneet_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus.
I am a bit lost as to whether I should use scan copy or original for RFE reply.

I got the following RFE from INS

Submit one additional statement, sworn to or affirmed by a person who was living at the time and who has personal knowledge of the events you are trying to prove, for example, the date and place of birth. The person making the statement (affidavit) may be your relative and need not be a citizen of the United States.

How does one reply to this RFE. I am required to submit Birth Certificate Affidavit from my uncle and aunt. I have got those copies scanned in color from India. Would that work as a reply or Should I get the originals and then use originals for replying to RFE.

My attorney tells me to just use the photocopy. She says they never send anything original to INS. Only photocopies. I am thinking if originals will appear more authentic.

Please let me know how you have submitted RFE responses.

Thanks again !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never send originals to INS unless asked specifically by INS (your attorney is correct). Photocopy is fine. Have you submitted affidavits from parents while submitting non availability certificate (or recently registered birth certificate). Why I am asking is it not enough to have affidavits from both parents, INS also need it from aunt and uncle?

visak said:
Never send originals to INS unless asked specifically by INS (your attorney is correct). Photocopy is fine. Have you submitted affidavits from parents while submitting non availability certificate (or recently registered birth certificate). Why I am asking is it not enough to have affidavits from both parents, INS also need it from aunt and uncle?

Is the format for the affidavit to be signed by aunt/uncle similar to the one signed by Parents? Thanks,
----
RD - Nov.2004
FP2 - Jul15'04
LUD - same "....600 days..."

The way it works with INS is not to send originals, allways photocopies. You have however to be ready to produce the original at an interview if so requested.

Does ELDER SISTER can submit an affidavit ... instead of an aunt or uncle ...
10 years elder than the 485 applicant ?

Please suggest ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Affidavit format is similar for Aunt/Uncle or Mother/Father. However, relation to the applicant should be clearly mentioned and how come they know of event (present in hospital at time of birth or your parents wrote a letter informing your birth etc.). It should also have their age (or date of birth) and address. Standard formats are available on most of immigration websites. Elder sister can sign an affidavit, but 10 years of age may be too small to remember the event of your birth.

GCJhalak said:
Does ELDER SISTER can submit an affidavit ... instead of an aunt or uncle ...
10 years elder than the 485 applicant ?

Please suggest ....

Actually my lawyer said that the person has to be an adult at the point of time when the applicant was born. That is the safer bet.

desichokra said:
Is the format for the affidavit to be signed by aunt/uncle similar to the one signed by Parents? Thanks,
----
RD - Nov.2004
FP2 - Jul15'04
LUD - same "....600 days..."

Yes. Very similar. I had a thread some days back here where I posted my format. If you cant find it then let me know and I will try and search for the url.

visak said:

Well in my case they need an additional affidavit. My attorney found it really silly for them to ask for that. I had submitted my original BC copy along with a notarize copy from my father. Maybe they need another since my mother's name is not mentioned on my original BC.

Who knows why. Just give them what they want so that this 485 mess can be completed sooner. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: