How do you file a complaint against a consular officer?

lspowers

Does anyone know how one can go about filing a complaint against a consular officer? They appear to be untouchable, but there must be a way. Thanks

lspowers said:
Does anyone know how one can go about filing a complaint against a consular officer? They appear to be untouchable, but there must be a way. Thanks

If you feel you were mistreated by an Immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by an Immigration employee, you may write to

Director
Office of International Operations
20 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529

OR

Director, Office of Internal Audit
425 Eye Street, NW
Room 3260
Washington, DC 20536

Complaint Question

ari4u said:
If you feel you were mistreated by an Immigration employee, or wish to make a complaint of misconduct by an Immigration employee, you may write to

Director
Office of International Operations
20 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Suite 3300
Washington, DC 20529

OR

Director, Office of Internal Audit
425 Eye Street, NW
Room 3260
Washington, DC 20536

Are these addresses good if I am filing a complaint against a Consular Office working in a US embassy overseas? My situation is that my wife's brother and sister applied for a tourist visa to visit us this summer and they were denied without looking at the docs they prepared. The consular officer claimed my wife had broken the law by first coming to the US on a tourist visa and then changing status after we got married. She never went into an overstay catagory and was legal the entire time. She is now a US citizen. After he denied the visas he asked them to have my wife call him. She did and he accused her of breaking the law and telling her she has no right to be in the USA. At this point I say screw the visas, I want his ass in Northern Iraq pulling a hardship post. Thanks everyone.

Well,doubt it
most probably they are going to read your complaint and laugh for half an hour and its going to end up in a trash can...

you are more than welcome to visit our forum
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad state of affairs

query11 said:
Well,doubt it
most probably they are going to read your complaint and laugh for half an hour and its going to end up in a trash can...

you are more than welcome to visit our forum

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1437754#post1437754

You may be right, but I am still going to send out as many complaint letters as possible. Screw this guy, I don't care who he is, my wife is now a citizen and he has no right to intimidate her or her brother and sister. I am a US citizen, I was born here, and it was not until I began helping my wife come here and go through the process that I really see how the US govt. treats foreign nationals. It is a disgrace (but if you look back in the history of this country you will see it has always been this way - so much for the land of the immigrants) and when they treat the citizens the same way we must realize our govt has crossed a line. The fox is guarding the henhouse. I am not afraid of the govt, I have taken so much crap from all levels of this beast that I do not care anymore. So I will bitch and complain, and then I will try to convince my wife that we should move to another country where freedom is more than just a word.

dude,trust me i am so fed up with the double standards ...
i mean u aint got a problem giving assylum to millions of ppl who have broken the law but you got a problem giving visa's to family's of legally migrated ppl...what kind of b.s is this?
i think its high time we show the congress we mean business by voting against all the people who were pro assylum billl!!!!

You should contact the representative of your state and tell them about it. They should be able to have your interest in mind. As far as I am concerned, the sins of the father should not be cast on the son. So just coz your wife did something different, her siblings should not suffer. Coz the overseas office is still american soil.

Good luck

I too am trying to find a way to file a complaint!

I am also experiencing issues with unprofessional US Visa officers. They seem to think that they are above the law. The unfortunate issue is that to some degree they are. Who is willing to argue with them when they are so feared by the people that sit in front of them trying to get a visa. It is us (U.S. citizens) that must do something about this. I am hearing from many of my clients who are going for H1 visas in Mexico that they are being treated unfairly. Just as Facebook helped spread the word about Egypt and it's government, maybe a FB page should be started here in the U.S. about people who are mistreated by US government officials. They have to be held accountable!!!

Same here. I’m ready to bitch and complain till someone hears me. My friend has a stage 4 cancer and her sister who was coming to move her back home was denied a visa because the officer believes she is sick but thinks the sister might stay in the US. Honestly, i grew up in the states but i’m much happier in Armenia. People here have hearts and never hide behind policies. This is pure bullshit. They let criminals, drug lords and all these rich bastards into the country but they won’t let simple people. The embassy here is horrible. They have one phone line which doesn’t work, their emails are all drafts and the officer was so rude she got up and walked away from her desk while this poor girl was speaking. People who make up these absurd policies should burn in hell

Hello Everybody, wow, it seems we are all victims of rude and inconsiderate treatment by consular officers who often act as if they are God and don't mine calling us liars. Some of your situations are similar as mine.... I live in another country and I married a wonderful caring lady. She loves her country and she has family there and has no desire to leave and come live with me in USA. I was born here and am an American citizen. My family has not met her and my elderly Auntie (98) was failing in her health. I wanted my wife to meet her before she died and to meet the rest of my family, sisters, brothers, children and grandchildren. Our plan is to live in her country and occassionally visit my family as a vacation. Well, she applied for a non immigrant visa (tourist visa) just to visit my family.
Together we prepared the documents on the website's list to prove that she is grounded in her country and has reason to return and not stay illegally in the USA. The deed to her own house, her children's birth certificates, our marriage certificate, her pension (she is retired), her local bank account, and she has a stamp in her passport from an Asian country where we went on our honeymoon. I added to the documents a letter explaining about my family and my Aunt's failing health. About our plans to live in her country and not in USA. Copies of my passport and residency permit as well as my certified documents of my company that I pay taxes on. I also included Messenger messages from my cousins describing my Aunt's condition and wishing us good luck to get the tourist visa. When my wife went in to the interview, they did not let me go with her. She gave the file of documents to the counselor officer and all he did was to pull out the marriage certificate. He said, you are married you need to apply for the immigrant visa. She told him we were only going for 2 months and she was not going to live in USA that we were going to live in her country. He denied her tourist visa and gave her the form letter of the denial. Saying she did not meet the requirements to prove she would return to her country or she filed the wrong immigration visa application. She said that he was rude to her, his language ability was not good and she did not think that he understood her as she doesn't speak English.
Of course I was very upset as this was the second time she applied, once before marriage and paid the fees twice. I went into the Embassy and had an appointment for Citizen Services. As soon as I mentioned my wife's denied visa, the person refused to speak to me about it. I asked to escalate to someone higher and gave her my letter that had been in the file. I told her the officer had not even looked at any of the documents but based his denial on our marriage certificate. She said, you are welcome to apply again. I replied For What!!!! I need to make a formal complaint.