How do I know if I am eligible for a TN visa?

shrii

Hi friends,
I hope to get some help here. I am currently living in US on a TD visa (my husband is on a TN visa for the last 2 years). I have Canadian citizenship and now I am interested to find a job in US as a computer systems analyst. My question is if I am eligible for a TN visa or not. I have a 3 yr bachelor of commerce degree (from India), 1 yr computer diploma and some other computer course certificates. Previously, I had 4 1/2yrs of IT experience in Canada (I quit 2 yrs ago). I plan to get a credential evaluation from the University of Toronto. Will I have a problem getting a visa at the border with my education though I have the relative experience. Please share your experiences and knowledge. Thanks so much.

Only your Indian degree can be used to qualify you for TN. Your diploma would have had to be from 2 year course, not 1. Your other course load can be used to show that you have some IT background (experience is of little value for TN excepot for management consultant category).

I would say a tough sell at this point, without a 2 year IT diploma.

Hi friends,
I hope to get some help here. I am currently living in US on a TD visa (my husband is on a TN visa for the last 2 years). I have Canadian citizenship and now I am interested to find a job in US as a computer systems analyst. My question is if I am eligible for a TN visa or not. I have a 3 yr bachelor of commerce degree (from India), 1 yr computer diploma and some other computer course certificates. Previously, I had 4 1/2yrs of IT experience in Canada (I quit 2 yrs ago). I plan to get a credential evaluation from the University of Toronto. Will I have a problem getting a visa at the border with my education though I have the relative experience. Please share your experiences and knowledge. Thanks so much.
well it sounds like you got yourself a TN. i know of a case that a canadian national with non canadian degree was sent back to canada because the officer said his foreign degree wasnt evaluated by canadian system as a bachelor degree. i would evaluate my degree in canada if i were you. even if they evaluate your diploma as an Associate degree, if you can show that you have worked for at least tree years as a computer system analyst you can get the TN visa. if you want to check TN qualified job lists go this website
http://www.grasmick.com/nafta.htm#Grasmick's

Hi
Thank you to nelsona and sshakeny for your responses. I am trying to get my credentials evaluated and get my computer diploma and other certifications to a 2 year diploma. I hope it works out. Any more suggestions are welcome. Thank You.

one major thing you must keep in mind is that the employment offer letter for TN is not as simple as the one you get to give it to a bank. if you can get a lawyer who knows his way around TN to write it for your employer.