How do I change my H1 status back to F1?? Please help me fast.

Aditya Dalmia

Hi,

I\'m a bit desperate to find a solution to this one since my school assistantship is at stake and I\'ve to restore my F1 status back in the next 5 days to be eligible for it.

Background:
A H1B petition was filed for me by a US company on January 29\'01. Meanwhile I got admission in a business school in the US and they sent me an I20. I preferred the study option then work and hence got a F1 stamped on my passport on Mar 01\'01 and entered the US on 24th of Mar\'01 on the F1 (my wife and son entered along with me on F2). After that the H1B has got approved while I\'m in the US on April 12\'01.

Now my school says that despite the fact that I haven\'t got the H1B stamped on my passport, my status has automatically changed to H1B since the approval came when I\'m already into the US. They are telling me that they cannot extend me the scholarship since my status is H1B.

I do not want to work for this company and want to change my status back to F1 and that of my family to F2 because I\'m more keen on studying. However I need to do this very very soon or else I\'ll loose my scholarship option.

Can someone please suggest me as to what is the process for changing my status back from H1B to F1 (& that of my family from H4 to F2), how much time does it take and how do i go about it.

A million thanks in advance for your advise.

Aditya