How did you Celebrate/How do you celebrate after Greencard secured?

Pinkie

Registered Users (C)
Would be interesting to know how people from this group celebrate/d once they got/get their greencards? Any plans? What is the feeling other than relief? What do you do shortly after it sets in that you REALLY made it through... :)

I was jumping around, screaming and running here 'n there (silly! :rolleyes: ) ...

call my mom rite away. pray, say Thanks to My Lord. get a fancy dinner with my friends.

'n then I remember that "I still cannot go back to my country" ... (coz' the rumor make me scared) ...

'n I'm back in my gloomy mood. coz' I miss my siblings SO MUCH!!! haven't seen them 6.5 years. I know for some people it's nothing. but .. I missed so many things. I missed my relatives funeral. I missed my cousins weddings ... I missed my bestfriend weddings (I was supposed to be their maid of honor) ..., I never be there for them (siblings 'n mom) when they were hospitalized .. :( I'm glad they recovered ... otherwise, I might just give up my asylum.

but these are the consequences .. somehow I know that I cannot whine about this. coz' I made the decision. (it took me 2 years to make this decision). and I have to live with the consequences.

CAN'T WAIT to get my citizenship ..

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a moment of Yay!!! and then soon after I started to count down for the citizenship application. It was moving from waiting for one thing to waiting for another, but of course with a certain sense of relief to have gone through a step that initially (before caps were dropped) I thought would have taken longer than it did for which I am still grateful.

Ms. Pink! Wow what a story. I definitely can relate to those feelings of being helpless especially about family and relatives. I still haven't got my GC but these are my facts.

- Haven't seen my siblings for 11 years. ( Got to see my mother briefly about 5 years ago in the U.S.)

- Can't tell you how many relatives have passed away. Countless, from disease, old age, disasters...

- My eldest sibling got married, has a child. Never met her husband, or child.

-My kid sisters was in middle school i think when i left, she has since, graduated med school is a doctor now... How I would have been proud to be there for her graduation.

- How many holidays did I spend alone? over the years. Loneliness, fear, uncertain future...

- Of course every member of my family at one point or another was hospitalized for some condition. Surgery

- And the mental anguish i have experienced everytime i have had an immigration case pending and now of course the GC and after that it's citizenship. It's a big chunk of your life. I am sure there are people who file asylum for non legit reason. If i didn't fear for my life legit, I know I would never go this route.

11 yearsssssssssss

OMG. I am wayyyyyy more lucky than you. 11 years is ... *speechless*.

u right, about missing the "time". my little cousins (I left them when they're still in elementary school, now.. some of them in highschool and some in university already) ...

my mom visit me once a year (my dad, once every 2 year). my grandparents visit me everytime they have a business trip to u.s , And my 2nd bro used to go to school in texas (he got scholarship for his master degree, and he wasn't with us when the "incident" happened. he went out of town with my grandpa but he went back home the next day when he saw "our house incident" on tv. I bet he freaked out, imagining himself to be an orphan overnight) ... so the one that I'm dying to see are my 1st bro, my youngest bro and my closest cousin (she's like my twin, we go everywhere together, inseparable) . :(

hang in there pinkie, based on ur timeline I'm pretty sure you will get ur gc pretty soon. :) just keep believing it ;)

just out of curiousity what is ur asylum case based on? is it racism? ...
I hope your family is okay back in ur country. coz' my case is on religious issues. Everytime hearing something about "church get burn in Indonesia" .. it gives me goosebump. I don't want my family and relatives live there anymore ... but I dunno why .. they choose to stay. I guess they're very nationalist. I actually don't mind living over there as long as "all the crazy people" (fanatics, extremist, racist) die! .. oops did I just say that?! .. :eek: .. I can't help it. I still hate them for what they did to me and my family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ms. Pinkie. My case is based on political. Right now it is a major pain for me. My mother stayed behind and the government ( I won't say which one) has taken her passport and she can no longer come out to visit me, which explains why it has been about 5 years since i last saw her.

At different points in my life, I have felt extremely hopeless. I find it very hard to find happiness even in the good things that go on in my life. I always seem to be looking over my back. My life growing up has been a major mess. I have never known happiness even with its basics. In my last year of high school my father died from a heart attack and my mother had to take care of us. It's amazing that I even made it to the U.S. I am male(saying this for the next line) NEVER underestimate the will and the love of a mother.

My mother has moved heaven and earth to see that I am safe. And so the rest of my siblings. It does disturb me that I have never been able to do anything for her Par se ... I think the hardest part is seeing pictures and watching her get older and not being there to reassure her. She worries a lot about me and also about her situation.

I am not looking for pity, I do not like pity. But I certainly want to share my story with those out there who may be going through something in their lives. I guess you have to identify your situation and work at getting through it in once piece.

I have practically watched myself mature. I have had to go through maturing and making right decisions as I have literally lived by myself for the last 11 going 12 years. I have been blessed with a lot of kindness from people in the U.S. who have encouraged me, adviced me and shown me care. Which is the least I could have hoped for.

I got mine last summer after waiting slightly over 10 years, it included my mother and sister as well. My younger brother is still waiting for a decision due to medical condition (he is autistic). My older brother has been in deportation proceedings despite of being married to a USC for over 3 years. Despite of appeal USCIS say they sent him a notice to leave but he did not comply. Truth is neither him nor his lawyer got anything. He went over the age during the wait time therefore his asylum case was processed saperately then the rest of the family, our judge approved us but his denied.

When I received my Green Card it was just another day, however I was thankful to the "Almighty" realizing this as a step towards citizenship. Having the green card does not make me feel too good until my brothers are out of this mess.

Pinkie said:
Thanks Ms. Pinkie. My case is based on political. Right now it is a major pain for me. My mother stayed behind and the government ( I won't say which one) has taken her passport and she can no longer come out to visit me, which explains why it has been about 5 years since i last saw her.

At different points in my life, I have felt extremely hopeless. I find it very hard to find happiness even in the good things that go on in my life. I always seem to be looking over my back. My life growing up has been a major mess. I have never known happiness even with its basics. In my last year of high school my father died from a heart attack and my mother had to take care of us. It's amazing that I even made it to the U.S. I am male(saying this for the next line) NEVER underestimate the will and the love of a mother.

My mother has moved heaven and earth to see that I am safe. And so the rest of my siblings. It does disturb me that I have never been able to do anything for her Par se ... I think the hardest part is seeing pictures and watching her get older and not being there to reassure her. She worries a lot about me and also about her situation.

I am not looking for pity, I do not like pity. But I certainly want to share my story with those out there who may be going through something in their lives. I guess you have to identify your situation and work at getting through it in once piece.

I have practically watched myself mature. I have had to go through maturing and making right decisions as I have literally lived by myself for the last 11 going 12 years. I have been blessed with a lot of kindness from people in the U.S. who have encouraged me, adviced me and shown me care. Which is the least I could have hoped for.

pinkie ... (give hugs) .. u are not the only one! talking about "mature". I feel that I grew up in here. I used to be a spoil brat who cannot do anything and relay on people to do stuff for me. and in this country I LEARN A LOT. seriously. I learn how to work. experienced my boss yelling at me. (even my dad never yell at me) ..

The first year in U.S was so haaaaard. I experienced eating cereal with water. it's not that i don't have the money to buy milk, but at that nite .. i was hungry and i dont have milk and i dont dare to drink my housemate milk .. i was so saaaad :( ... but day by day i get stronger. i do my own grocery shopping. i know how to get an ID .. , i know how to pay tax.

so yeah .. I consider myself growing up in this place because back then in my country .. I know nothing. I just live my life according to my parents will. I never really make decision by myself. they decide for me. Once I get here .. i have to do everything by myself and made decision.

you are right about seeing picture. even I saw my mom every once a year .. I can see that she's getting old very fast .. , so sad that I cannot be there for her everyday (altho' we fight too sometimes) ...

there was one time I've heard that my mom fell .. and no one at home. it hurts to hear that ... but there's nothing i could do ..

no, u are not self pity. u're just sharing ur story. and i'm glad u wanna share it a bit to us. hang in there my friend. u are not alone :) i feel ya. and i bet many of us can relate to ur situation. (emotionally, i mean)

kaoticfury said:
in my case, i stamped my feet on the green card several times :D

I got so excited that I went to a dealership to buy a brand new freaking luxury car. But as you know how wives are, she wouldn't let me buy a 50k CAR. I was like "..But the gc approval remmeber?"..SO i settled for a big screen t.v...

All single guys, buy the cars etc right now or your wife won't let you buy anything :(

Thanks Ms. Pink! Guz right back @ ya! Sounds like you did a lot of growing up. You must admit it is a good thing being independent. Boy having the freedom to make your own decisions and not having someone hold it over you that because they do this and that for you, they are in control. I have also matured emotionally, especially when it comes to dealing with people in general. And controlling my emotions.

Copper: In reading your situation. Very compelling. I can understand how hard it is to find any joy, when your sibling is caught in deportation proceedings. There is absolutely no work around? Seeking the assistance of your senator? government? I cannot understand how they can refuse to see your brother's case if he did infact not get any notice. Or his lawyer. How legit is your lawyer. I mean if it is so clearly cut, a lawyer should be able to fight tooth and nail to get it overturned.

I am sure you have considered most of my thoughts, I still feel that it is unfortunate. So how does he manage to hang around?

wantmygcnow said:
I got so excited that I went to a dealership to buy a brand new freaking luxury car. But as you know how wives are, she wouldn't let me buy a 50k CAR. I was like "..But the gc approval remmeber?"..SO i settled for a big screen t.v...

All single guys, buy the cars etc right now or your wife won't let you buy anything :(

hahaha jimmy :D ur wife is surely wonder woman :) u are a nice guy, can compromise with ur wife, some hubby will do whatever he wants :)

copper1 said:
I got mine last summer after waiting slightly over 10 years, it included my mother and sister as well. My younger brother is still waiting for a decision due to medical condition (he is autistic). My older brother has been in deportation proceedings despite of being married to a USC for over 3 years. Despite of appeal USCIS say they sent him a notice to leave but he did not comply. Truth is neither him nor his lawyer got anything. He went over the age during the wait time therefore his asylum case was processed saperately then the rest of the family, our judge approved us but his denied.

When I received my Green Card it was just another day, however I was thankful to the "Almighty" realizing this as a step towards citizenship. Having the green card does not make me feel too good until my brothers are out of this mess.

true. it's hard to feel "the joy" if we know that one of our siblings is kinda left behind :(

Pinkie said:
Thanks Ms. Pink! Guz right back @ ya! Sounds like you did a lot of growing up. You must admit it is a good thing being independent. Boy having the freedom to make your own decisions and not having someone hold it over you that because they do this and that for you, they are in control. I have also matured emotionally, especially when it comes to dealing with people in general. And controlling my emotions.

yeah .. I kinda learn life "the hard way". I remember my 2nd bro say something like this (rite before I go to U.S) ... "you won't survive! I give you 3 months and u will come back here, crying. u don't even know how to iron ur clothes"

at that time, I thought "gosh, he's so mean!. I can iron my own clothes! D'OH! I'll prove it to him that I can live by myself!" .. that is why whenever I feel down and want to go back home .. I keep reminding myself that I cannot give up. I tried to find a part time job so when he came to U.S to study 'n visit me ... he had this face :eek: .. haha that is the happiest day in my life .. he pat me on my head and say "i take my words back. i am sorry" ... he even gave me some of his allowance for me because he said "u suffer enuf, lemme help u" .. :p

i have to admit .. if he didnt put me down like that .. i will prolly give up long time ago.

*sigh* .. can't wait to see them all again ...