How change of addr can affect 485?

alwinms

Registered Users (C)
RD: Jun 2001
ND: Aug 2001
I want to use my EAD and seek employment. If I had to move to east coast or any other state, will this move affect my 485 processing in any way?

Thanks for explaining in advance.

Change of job is important, not change of address

If you change your job ( after 180 days of filing your I-485 ) and have a new employer other than your I-485 sponsoring employer, then you have to inform INS of the job change and submit a leter from the new employer verifying your employment and stating details of your job to prove that it\'s the same or a similar job. For address change, just call them on the phone and inform them of the new address. Or you can wait for an RFE when INS finally gets around to adjudicating your I-485 and then submit a letter from your new employer. This is to the best of my knowledge and this is what I have done in my own case. Since INS has stopped processing all petitions for over a month I now have to sit and wait to find out if they need anything else, other than the letter my new employer has sent.

You should remember this information

According to my attorney:

MANDATORY REGISTRATION OF ADDRESS CHANGES

The INS has announced a new policy requiring every foreign national living in the United States to register a change of residence within 10 days.

Otherwise...?

Otherwise, what ? What\'s the punishment for the lazy ones who don\'t do it within that time frame ? Also, does that include GC holders - they too are foreign nationals until they become US citizens ?

Change of address

The overall authority for this new policy is found at Section 265 of
the Immigration and Nationality Act which raises the spector that
violations of this statutory provision could be considered as a
violation of status.

Fatwa from INS

Sounds like INS has started issuing fatwas now a la Middle East style. " If you don\'t belong to our group ( US citizens ), then do this or that(e.g. change of address reporting ) , otherwise you shall be beheaded ( deported )" . The US will now be a fun place to live in.