how can I obtain proof that I pay traffic ticket

Suzy977 said:
You don't need to mention parking tickets.
Traffic tickets need to be mentioned only, you don't have to have proof of paying or anything else...unless the tickets were over $500 or were serious violations like DUI, DWI, reckless driving, etc.

Will "going to the oneway street" considered reckless driving? ..

coz I have 2 traffic tickets so far:
1. speeding ticket. (guilty as it is, driving 95 on 75 speed limit)
2. get into oneway street. appeal not guilty and showed evidence (pictures) of the intersection that has no street sign "oneway" on each corner of intersection but the Judge still charged me guilty because apparently there is a straight arrow on the ground and no arrow showing to the right (???). I argued that the arrow on the ground was kinda smear so I cannot really see it, esp. when the arrow were located below my car when I get to the intersection. The court didn't even considered me as "half guilty" coz' NO road sign. I'm still pissed offer this issue but I couldnt do anything.

I paid around $230 for the speeding ticket and $165 for the "oneway" street. So I really hope that I won't get in trouble for this two things. (esp. since I dont have the receipt. I paid online everytime I get tickets and sometimes I print it out, sometimes I dont. :( ach... my bad)

Miss.PinK said:
Will "going to the oneway street" considered reckless driving? ..

coz I have 2 traffic tickets so far:
1. speeding ticket. (guilty as it is, driving 95 on 75 speed limit)
2. get into oneway street. appeal not guilty and showed evidence (pictures) of the intersection that has no street sign "oneway" on each corner of intersection but the Judge still charged me guilty because apparently there is a straight arrow on the ground and no arrow showing to the right (???). I argued that the arrow on the ground was kinda smear so I cannot really see it, esp. when the arrow were located below my car when I get to the intersection. The court didn't even considered me as "half guilty" coz' NO road sign. I'm still pissed offer this issue but I couldnt do anything.

I paid around $230 for the speeding ticket and $165 for the "oneway" street. So I really hope that I won't get in trouble for this two things. (esp. since I dont have the receipt. I paid online everytime I get tickets and sometimes I print it out, sometimes I dont. :( ach... my bad)

No, that's not reckless driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traffic tickets are not necessarily citations

My wife got a minor traffic ticket in New Jersey yesterday. The ticket bears no points. Nowhere on the ticket can I find the word "citation". On the top of the ticket, it says "Complaint - Summons". Then I checked the copy of my old ticket that I got years ago in New York City for "a right turn on red". I got two points transferred to my state. To my surprise, I cannot find the word "citation" on the front nor the back of the ticket. It simply says "Traffic Ticket" on the top of the ticket. Apparently, traffic tickets issued in New York City and New Jersey are not citations. Hence, they should not be reported in N-400 nor mentioned during interview.

NJGoose said:
My wife got a minor traffic ticket in New Jersey yesterday. The ticket bears no points. Nowhere on the ticket can I find the word "citation". On the top of the ticket, it says "Complaint - Summons". Then I checked the copy of my old ticket that I got years ago in New York City for "a right turn on red". I got two points transferred to my state. To my surprise, I cannot find the word "citation" on the front nor the back of the ticket. It simply says "Traffic Ticket" on the top of the ticket. Apparently, traffic tickets issued in New York City and New Jersey are not citations. Hence, they should not be reported in N-400 nor mentioned during interview.

hi, may I know where did u see they took 2 point ? .. is it on the citation? I wonder how many points that they took from me :(

Miss.PinK said:
hi, may I know where did u see they took 2 point ? .. is it on the citation? I wonder how many points that they took from me :(
The points are not on the ticket (not necessarily a citation). Find the traffic violation number (or statute number) on your ticket and go online to the department of motor vehicles of your state to check how many points are incurred on your driver record. Here is the point scale for New Jersey.

NJGoose said:
The points are not on the ticket (not necessarily a citation). Find the traffic violation number (or statute number) on your ticket and go online to the department of motor vehicles of your state to check how many points are incurred on your driver record. Here is the point scale for New Jersey.

Hi Everyone.
I have question regarding a wrong U turn in 1998 in MD before I got my GC I went to court the police officer never showed up, so the judge dismiss the case now I’m lived in CO my question is did I have to disclose this information for N-400 interview?

Thank-you.

douls said:
Hi Everyone.
I have question regarding a wrong U turn in 1998 in MD before I got my GC I went to court the police officer never showed up, so the judge dismiss the case now I’m lived in CO my question is did I have to disclose this information for N-400 interview?

Thank-you.

The N-400 question is, something like this:

"Have you ever been arrested, cited, etc..."

The truthful answer is yes, you have been cited in 1998...
After that the Judge decided in your favor and you weren't convicted, that's a different story.

If I were you I'll disclose the ticket.
I know someone who will jump right away in this thread and will say that I'm wrong. I've told you my opinion, It's your call.

douls said:
Hi Everyone.

Thank-you.
Don't bother.

NJGoose said:

thank you.

This is such a non issue...

I know that we all want to have 110% documentation, etc,etc.

Honestly I don't think its works loosing sleep over. Do mention if you have been arrested, DUI and serious offences(You must).

Otherwise order a copy of your Driving record (certified/uncertified), carry it with you. If you have copies of having paid the tickets carry them.

If you are paranoid then call each court and get a disposition.

If the officer asks you answer truthfully, tell him that you have paid all your tickets (if you have) and ask him if he wants to see a copy of your DMV records. If you have some proof i.e. few stubs you can show them the copies.

If he really thinks you are lying and wants to grill you or got up on the wrong side of the bed he may ask for disposition (99.99% he will not), then its your bad day, tell him you will get it....

Its really you person comfort level, The officer is testing the validity and truthfullness of your records and your ethical/moral standards. Be truthful and respond say you did not think it was necessary, I don't think any officer is going to have a problem.

Yes there may be one stay case...I will tell you an experience of my office collegue. He went to a citizenship interview and apparently there was a lady who's communication/english skills were poor and was rejected.

Then what happened is that her husband returned and asked to see the immigratin office, he got real worked up and started yelling saying "I am sure you don't know half the aswers to these questions", "I am born here and I don't know either", security had to be called to remove the guy.

But subsequently the officer became very angry and was fuming and it seems many people who went to him were grilled on american history, one lady was asked to recite the national anthem, obviously she failed...

So when something like that happens, all bets are off. So just do your bit and avoid being too paranoid...

Xkuger said:
But subsequently the officer became very angry and was fuming and it seems many people who went to him were grilled on american history, one lady was asked to recite the national anthem, obviously she failed...
Now I have one more thing to prepare for the interview: to be able to recite the national anthem. Did she pass the interview? In cases like this, the applicant can complain to the officer's supervisor.

Regarding minor traffic violations, depending where the tickets are issued, some of them may not have the word "citation" on them. Are they still citations or simply traffic tickets?

Don't know the follow up...

I heard that this drama all happed during the interview, my collegue just happened to know as he stepped out and ran into some of the people who were smoking after the interview.. so don't know if she complained, but she was failed in the history test.

There are 2 important things you need to note..

1. None of these tickets (unless they are DUI i.e fines over 500US$ are considered serious), so if you have any of those speeding, U turn, insurance card etc its not of any significance.

2. The second point is that the Officer can technically pull you up for witholding information (basically lying - failing good moral conduct).

On the first one you know if they cared, they would have listed it in detaile in the N400, you can also call the 800 number and ask them and they will explain that its not necessary to list ( Same opinion from some immigration attorneys)

One #2 if the officer ask you never know if he refers to #1 or #2 you you can say Ya and you can show driving record and explain.

Now the real problem even if you have an insignificant ticket and you are waiting for the final court date, then its considered outstanding. In that case the officer may ask you for documenation.

Lets say you have a DUI but you postponed the court date. You are innocent till proven guilty. Technically you are still innocent, so the office will want to know the final verdict of the cout.. thats where you may have issues.

Also what happens to a number of tickets that you get in small town cours out of state never get reported, it supposed to be on record but usually missing so the owness is on you to show that you have paid up.

Honesty this issue is not worth this much discussion. In fact I have a citizenship interview next week and I am going to ask the Immigration offices if they really care about all these minor tickets. I will pose this question after I pass the test and sign the paper.... lets see what he/she says and I will post my experience.

NJGoose said:

NJGoose
I am in the same dilemma - I got my 3 traffic tickets from NJ and all 3 of them mention only 'Complaint/Summons' and not 'Citation'. How do we confirm this INDEED IS NOT A CITATION.

anand74 said:
NJGoose
I am in the same dilemma - I got my 3 traffic tickets from NJ and all 3 of them mention only 'Complaint/Summons' and not 'Citation'. How do we confirm this INDEED IS NOT A CITATION.
There is no dilemma. If your tickets say "Complaint/Summons" but not "citation", then they are not citations. N-400 does not asked if you were ever "complained". Traffic tickets issued by other states may say "traffic citation", some people construe them as regular citations and I don't think this is CIS's original intention. Minor traffic violations have nothing to do with moral and cannot be used for denial of a citizenship application.

I've had speeding tickets in New Jersey. They are entitled "Notice to Appear" which is a citation. I added the definitions below in order to help. I know this is a never ending debate, but there have been people who have reported, in this forum, that they have been asked for their traffic tickets information. There are people who have not, so it seems to depend on the IO you get.

A citation or notice to appear is a type of summons prepared and served at the scene of the occurrence by a law enforcement official, compelling the appearance of a defendant before the local magistrate within a certain period of time to answer for a minor traffic infraction or misdemeanor or other summary offence. Failure to appear within the allotted period of time is a separate crime of failure to appear.

A summons is a legal document issued by a court addressed to a defendant in a legal proceeding. Typically, a summons will announce to the person to whom it is directed that a legal proceeding has been started against them, a file has been started in the court records and it announces a date by which the defendant(s) must either appear in court, or respond in writing to the court or the opposing party or parties. As such, the summons is the true descendant of the writ of the common law.

Last edited by a moderator: