How can I make USCIS update my status on their system to get SSN?

ydecker

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I finally got GC in Septemnber and now I am stuck with Social Security Number.

I got approved with I-485 with family basis immigrant on Sep 14.
I went in the social security office on Sep 21 and AS USUAL, rep from there said my status on their database is not updated so they can not issue number even though i showed my GC and EAD.

They said it would take usually 10-14 days to be update,and its alrealdy more than 14 days and still nothing has been changed.

I got the job offfer and they can wait for one week, most of the case you may not need to have SSN at the time you work,eventually you need it by the paycheck date. But as for me,they need to have my SSN to check my background. I also asked them if they can check my background with A# but they said they can not.

I called SAVE pilot system office but she said it is too early to call.
Also i came into the another office to see if they can do anything, but they already recorded the fact that i visited another office before so i need to go to the office where i originally applied for to get continued.

I asked my lawyer to call the officer who approved my I485, but that officer is in 3 months vacation,UNBELIEVABLY! :mad:

I need to get SSN next week or I will loose the job offer.

Everyone, do you know anyway to get my status updated sooner?

Feel like i did everything but nothing seemed to help my case. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Please let me have another question,

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you would have SS number on the receipt before you get actual SS card?
Because You can use receipt for some porpose to prove that you have SS card as well.

Or i have heard you can also get actual SSN by calling SS customer service 1800 number within 24 to 48 hours after applying for SSN.

Which is the truth?

I appreciate for any advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
You can show your employer that you have applied for an SSN.
The instructions for the I-9 state:
"If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the application of the document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90) days."

Thank you Joe, :)

Actually, my employer needs my SS number for checking my background.
Thank you very much for your apply though.

Is there anyone who got SSN on the same day you apply for the number or next day by calling SS office or SS national customer service center :confused:

I don't mean to offer a stupid comment, but if you've never had a SSN, then what sort of background check can your prospective employer conduct with a new SSN? There won't be any historical information against a new SSN.

wik said:
I don't mean to offer a stupid comment, but if you've never had a SSN, then what sort of background check can your prospective employer conduct with a new SSN? There won't be any historical information against a new SSN.

Thank you for your comment, Wik

yes, haha exactly I just realized that. :D
Well even if new SSN does not have any record or whatsoever with my background, they still want it as their one of the RULE when they hire someone probably.

Or any immigrants with SSN may be able to take out some information like fingerprint or biometrics infos when you had to submit for greencard.
Well i am not sure about it, just guessing.

Thank you,