How can I get the copy of my I-140 approval?

boniji

Registered Users (C)
How can I get the copy of my I-140 approval? My employer and the lawyer will not give me the Copy.
Is there any other way and is it safe?

Hi boniji,

I have read in this forum about a legal way of getting a copy of your 140 approval. You may search and follow that.

There is another way to get the original 140 approval (employer copy). If the approval has just come through, normally it takes 3 to 5 days to reach the employer. You may immediately extend your services to sort & pass on the incoming mails in your company. Generally, in a small company this is possible, where the employer is happy for someone wilfully doing that job and you would be more happy to get the approval in your own hands. After that you can stop passing the mails and any undue favors to the employer as you got the independence.

Good luck.

DIGS
EB3, India
RD Apr.04
140 ??

Getting a copy of I-140

Did you pay for your GC process?
If yes then they should give you the copy atleast. They will not give you the original saying that the I-140 is for the company.
But you also should have it with you.

Does your company refuse to give it to you a copy? what are they saying?
I would also like to know if there is a way to get a copy from the INS directly. With the AC21 rule I am sure there will be a way to get a copy from INS.

Hi RatherGetShot,

Thanks for the USPS info. I dont know about being funny, but I do try to comment, suggest other possibilities too. The one earlier is to extend the services, obviously with the consent of the authorised person in the company and in the process have knowledge of such an incoming mail and request a copy. Many times, the employer bluntly refuses of ever receiving such mail or even having the case approved.

Most of us here do undergo varying degree of ill treatment from the employer which are not only unjust, but illegal too. The long GC process places the employee at such a receiving end, that there is little room to request for fairness or justice.

Thanks again. None here would like to GetShot, although many dream ToShoot.

DIGS
EB3, India

Last edited by a moderator:
I-140

Hi Neocor

The USCIS web site shows that the case was approved one week ago. Approval notice has not been received yet. I think I will have to wait for one more week and then call them.

Normally the mail comes in One week.
I was happy to see the LUD for Approval but I don’t know what is next for me.

I thought one could get any document using the freedom of information act.
I remember reading a few posts in which somebody had received all relavant documents from USCIS including approval notices.

Anyway if this is about exercising the AC21 after 6 months, I guess it should be enough if you notified the USCIS of your change of employment and mention your receipt number because if they refuse to give you a copy and if the employer does the same, we have nowhereelse to go and they should know that much. Please check with a good attorney about all the options though.

Arvind_I140 said:
I thought one could get any document using the freedom of information act.
I remember reading a few posts in which somebody had received all relavant documents from USCIS including approval notices.

Anyway if this is about exercising the AC21 after 6 months, I guess it should be enough if you notified the USCIS of your change of employment and mention your receipt number because if they refuse to give you a copy and if the employer does the same, we have nowhereelse to go and they should know that much. Please check with a good attorney about all the options though.

Yeah that is what I was talking about. AC21 requires a copy of the I-140. So there must be some way to get that if the employer is not giving it to you. Can someone post the details of how to get the copies directly from the USCIS?

Boniji,
Beware your company may not reveal that they received the I-140 even thought they did. They will probably give you the crap that they are going to send an application to get a duplicate after waiting for a month or so. I have heard companies do that, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about that. Unless offcourse there is way for us to directly get it from the USCIS.

I-140

Thanks neocor
You know how one feels if one does not get the correct Response from the companies.
They try to be masters like in back home.
I am glad that you brought the Points to light

unitednations said:
What i've gathered is that if you do a freedom of information request it will slow down the processing of your 485.

Out of curiosity, why is that? What have you observed?

Thanks Unitednations,

It just goes on to once again prove that 'Freedom always come at a cost'.

DIGS
EB3, India

DIGS said:
Hi RatherGetShot,

Thanks for the USPS info. I dont know about being funny, but I do try to comment, suggest other possibilities too. The one earlier is to extend the services, obviously with the consent of the authorised person in the company and in the process have knowledge of such an incoming mail and request a copy. Many times, the employer bluntly refuses of ever receiving such mail or even having the case approved.

Most of us here do undergo varying degree of ill treatment from the employer which are not only unjust, but illegal too. The long GC process places the employee at such a receiving end, that there is little room to request for fairness or justice.

Thanks again. None here would like to GetShot, although many dream ToShoot.

DIGS
EB3, India
DIGS,

No offense implied. Your first post seemed to suggest that boniji should offer up his services so he can intercept the mail. That would be illegal (criminal and not just a misdemeanor as far as I know.) I understand your intentions are good but your advice could have very adverse effects. Any way it is up to the reader whether to take your advice or not.

We are all very aware of the ill-treatment at the hands of our employers - we have all experienced it. However its better to use the legal approach where ever possible.

On a side note - I hope you aren't implying that you want to shoot me because you cant take my DIGS? (Pun intended. :))
RGS.

RatherGetShot,

Relax buddy, surprised to see you concerned of ever being shot at.

Regarding my comment to offer services, it means to offer services and not grab them. I'm not a legal person, but I do know for sure that offering services is definitely not a crime in any part of the world. Generally in legal documents one finds an elaborate way of explanation, elsewhere one has to draw the right conclusions.

Mentioning of the side note, it has nothing to do with you, except that your screename comes close enough. For many, the long GC process brings in the antipathy for the injustice experienced around.

BTW, I'm fine with anything & everything.

Enjoy & Good luck :)

DIGS
EB3, India

Congrats boniji,

Be Good Do Good and Good things would eventualllllllllllllllllly happen.

DIGS
EB3, India
RD Apr.04
140 ??

Hi All
I am in the same situation that my I140 has approved and my employer says that he had not recieved the approval notice.

I had used a substitute labor, this was of one of my colleague who had left the Company after applying 140. When I applied 140/485(mine was concurrent) the other guy's application was still active. After I applied there was a query on the first 140 application and after few weeks of the query my 140 was approved. After waiting for a month I had called INS to check for the approval notice,verified address and said that if I dont recieve in 30 days I have to call back. This time my employer passed the letter to me (this was addressed to me as I had initiated the enquiry) which says that I had to apply for a duplicate 140 approval as the Original Approval they mailed did not went back to them INS as Undeliverable. This letter clearly states that my 140 was approved on Feb17 and so on.

Do I need to apply for the duplicate copy? I dont think my employer will pass on thatto me even if he recieves the duplicate.

Can I use the letter the INS had replied as proof of 140 approval in future if I need to proof that my140 was approved?

To add another twist to the case the 140 for the Original Applicant was also approved and his approval notice is recieved. Do I need to force my employer to revoke this?

Please advice me on what should I do?

Great! Congratulations! How did you convince him to give you a copy.
My employer called me to inform me that my I-140 was approved. He said he would mail me a copy - still waiting for it. Otherwise Im going to have to go the FOIA way.

Mine is EB3 category. My priority date is April 2003. Was wondeirng if I tried to get my I-140 through FOIA if it would affect my application. I mean the are not going to touch it otherwise due to the retrogression. So will it delay my processing too? (This last question is directed to Unitednations.)

Thanks for your replies.
Regards,
RGS.