Houston stamping and expired passport

sebis

Registered Users (C)
I got my approval notice in the mail and I am ready to go to the Houston office for stamping, however, my passport expired. Anyone has any experience with an expired passport, are they going to give any trouble for this?

TIA

--Sebis

If I were you,I won't go for stamping with an expired passport.Get a new passport and then go for stamping. Also, remember to keep the old passport safe.

HDBoy

get a new passport and then go for stamping..whats the point in having the stamping in an expired passport (thats not valid anyway!)

It will take a week for you to get a new passport if u r in houston..heres the consulate address website..

http://cgihouston.org/

Madhav

I wish I could get a new passport without having to travel to DC and get a power of attorney that I need to send to someone in my country then wait few months to get it.

There is no consulate for my country in Houston and they won't issue a new one by mail unless I have the plastic so I have to go for stamping so I can get the plastic so I can get a valid passport ...

I am sorry for the suggestion. I assumed u were from India. So, sent the site URL. I think they do check the validity of the passport in which they stamp.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Madhav

You have to have a valid passport to get the I-551 stamp. They will not stamp it otherwise.

I got my stamp today in Houston, here are the key points I want to make:

1. Arrived on Northpoint at 7 am, I was in line to get a number until 9 am, completed the process by 11 am.

2. DO NOT bring camera phones. I had my Treo 600 hoping that I can read and send email during this time, they made me go back to the car, I lost at least 20 numbers because of this delay.

3. My passport was expired so they asked for a 3rd photo that was placed on a temporary card that looks like a I-94 and stamped with the standard message that otherwise would have been stamped on the passport.