House Hearing on Unused Immigrant Visas and USCIS Backlogs

You gotta be crazy if you think legislative bodies/congressional subcommitties move this fast!!
The testimony was on Apr 30th and it's May 9th today.
Give it a few months to a few years for anything to come of it, if it ever will.

Considering this is an election year, and everyone wants to appear "tough on immigration", I don't thinks this bill is going anywhere!

I am closely monitoring Immigration legislative process since 2004. Many Immigrations bills with EB provisions were introduced. Out of that bills, 99% bills haven't seen Congress floor. Most of the cases, EB provision were attached to other big bills and always shot down by some extremists at Congress floor.

Introduction of bill is very easy step. To get the Congress floor, it required lot of political motivation and thrust. To be honest, I won't get excite, if bill introduce!.

The reality is that in current political scenario (Democrat leadership in both the Houses), the EB provision will not get any where. Democrat only care about illegal immigrants (little about family based) and not at all about Employment based legal high tech immigrants. If you guys remember, Democrat (Mr Ted Kennedy) almost killed EB provisions in last CIR bill so that we prayed killing CIR bill!!! In fact, they hold EB provision as hostages!! Democrats don't want to release hostages until they successfully blackmail for illegal immigrants!! Forget about standalone EB provision bill with Democrat leadership.

Next election, if Republican back on power, there might be a chance.

Saw this in murthy.com.... Does any one know what was the outcome/result/decision made out of this...????

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_houher.html --- dated May 9th, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got news that Senate Majority leader striped Employment Based Provisions (Recapture of un-used visa) from War supplementary Bill.

Democrat leadership will never keep any exclusive piece meal for Employment Based. They only care for illegals. Employment Based immigration is good hostage for them!!

Thanks guys - So, at this rate , of 10 or 20 K visa numbers/year , and lot of pending apps, subs labor filings, i guess it would take a lot of years to open my file...Might be my children will grow up & end up sponsoring me