Hot topic - SECURITY REVIEW

Bmt74/sensat,

can you guys let me know whats the difference between an IBIS check, FBI check and name check? Do all these cheks go against the same database? How do I know which check I got stuck with?

Thanks,

More on IBIS, I got this from my attorney (which she got from AILA)

Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Fact Sheet

Q: What Is IBIS?
A: IBIS is the acronym for the Interagency Border Inspection System.

Q: Who Uses IBIS?
A: In addition to CBP, law enforcement and regulatory personnel from 20 other federal agencies or bureaus use IBIS. Some of these agencies are the FBI, Interpol, DEA, ATF, the IRS, the Coast Guard, the FAA, Secret Service and the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, just to name a few. Also, information from IBIS is shared with the Department of State for use by Consular Officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

Q: What Does IBIS Provide?
A: IBIS assists the majority of the traveling public with the expeditious clearance at ports of entry while allowing the border enforcement agencies to focus their limited resources on those potential non-compliant travelers. IBIS provides the law enforcement community with access to computer-based enforcement files of common interest. It also provides access to the FBI's National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and allows its users to interface with all fifty states via the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems (NLETS).

Q: Where Is IBIS?
A: IBIS resides on the Treasury Enforcement Communications System (TECS) at the CBP Data Center. Field level access is provided by an IBIS network with more than 24,000 computer terminals. These terminals are located at air, land, and sea ports of entry.

Q: What Information Is in IBIS?
A: IBIS keeps track of information on suspect individuals, businesses, vehicles, aircraft, and vessels. IBIS terminals can also be used to access NCIC records on wanted persons, stolen vehicles, vessels or firearms, license information, criminal histories, and previous Federal inspections. The information is used to assist law enforcement and regulatory personnel.

Q: Additional Questions?
A: Any concerns you may have as an international traveler or importer about the use or application of IBIS may be address to: U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Freedom of Information Act/
Customer Satisfaction Unit
Room 5.5 C
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20229

The senator's aide called me back today. She said mine was past IBIS check. She said its in a special security check.She doesnt know what triggered it or when it would come out of it.

sensat,

Thanks for the info. I think whatever response your senator's office recives from NSC is B*** S***. They are just bluffing. We are getting into the root of the problem and NSC just doesn't want to provide the real facts.

Every dog has its own day and the truth will come out soon. Let's wait for lil more time, after all we waited for so long patiently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

Good news ! - I think I am finally getting out of the so-called "security review" black hole. Following are some of the updates I have at this point:

- I got an RFE on I-140 couple of days ago (filed in Sep 2003!)
- 7th year extn applied in Dec 2004 got approved
- 8th year extn applied in Nov 2005 got approved

So I am guessing they are working on the back logs. Whoever is waiting for so long might hear a good news soon.

Good luck guys !

Cong.

Cong. BMT74. I am really happy for you. As you know , my case is stucked in security review since January 2003. My question is did you do any thing that triggered your case, or it was by chance? Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks qaiser. I didn't do anything. It was just by chance I guess. My attorney initiated an inquiry in the month of Nov 2005. But I don't think it helped. Prior to that, I did contact the congressman and the senator. But I don't think it helped either. Everybody's response was my case was stuck in security review...nobody really helped to expedite.

Please hang in there, your turn will be soon. I know its hard..but don't think about this at all, just go on with your life. One day you will receive the surprise email.

One thing I heard was they are working on all backlog cases. I heard there is a special project going on to clear the backlog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

Update:

My EAD renewal application filed about 4 months ago and pending because of security review, got approved today !!. It is a good news and wanted to share with you all !!!

Couple of days ago, I initiated an inquiry (a few days later I got the I-140 RFE). At that time I got a response that it was still in security review, but today it got approved !!!

Need Help!

We got RFE on my I140(NIW) and replied back on Jan 20 2006, after that my LUD was changes on Jan 20,23,24 and after that there is no change in LUD.

Is it normal or something fishy? Also I read some where that usually USICS does name check on I140, is it safe to assume that i might be stuck there..

I am really nervous and in insight thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
:confused:

Sensat

somewhere i saw ur post asking if 140 is pending in security check shall we got our eads and aps

yes i did get eads and aps in timely manner.i applied for second EAD and aP in oct 2005 and got them in nov 2oo5

How do we know that our name is stuck in security review?

We got RFE on my I140(NIW) and replied back on Jan 20 2006, after that my LUD was changes on Jan 20,23,24 and after that there is no change in LUD.

Is it normal or something fishy? Also I read some where that usually USICS does name check on I140, is it safe to assume that i might be stuck there..

I am really nervous and in insight thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

:confused:

No need to worry, it is quite normal. It just means that somebody is actively working on your case. I would just stop looking at the status every day. When there is an update, you will receive an email.