Hot from the press - Bill C-11 received Royal Assent today

No Title

hi Everybody....

My lawyer says "that 3/5 years will be eligible only for people who have some Canadian business or earning from Canadian copany but living in the US, or having Canadian citizen or PR partner living out of Canada...etc...."

My question....can u still live out of Canada if u have H1 in the US ???? Hope this is the case.....please throw some light !!!!!!!

I am desperate to liv in the US 3/5 years.....

please share your ideas !!!

thanks

My understanding

I was just reading the bill. Under 28(2)(a), there are three situations under which one can be considered complying with a residence obligation. #1 is physically present in Canada at lease 730 days out of 5 yrs. #2 and 3 are saying you can add days fulfilling activities listed in either #2 or #3 to your 730 days. Am I right? Also the bill says under 28(2)(b), the days start counting from the date one landed for the purpose of the 5-yr period. Please correct me if I am wrong.

no

The usual requirement will be "a person would be required to be physically present in Canada for at least two years (730 days) out of every five" However, it seems that if someone could not make even that much (2 yrs. out 5) than there are exceptions e.g, if you worked for a Canadian business or govt. overseas, then it will be considered you were in Canada and not violate the law (means even if you stay outsode Canada for say five yrs., you still don\'t lose the PR)

Thus, it seems that you can remain on H-1 in US for the 3 yrs. to start with and even more outside Canada, if you are working for Canadian co. or govt.
------------------------
The C-11 says reads:

Certain persons would be deemed to be in Canada, even though they were away:

Spouses, partners or children of Canadian citizens who accompanied the citizen. Any reason for the absence would qualify.

Permanent residents employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal or a provincial public service, and the spouses, partners and children who accompanied them.

for details:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/Bills_...Division 3, Entering and Remaining in Canada (Clauses%2018-32)(txt)