High school in USA

walrus123

I'm currently in Poland, but I'd like to attend high school in USA. There are firms in poland that offer "a year abroad in us high school". You can live with host family etc. etc. They offer both public and private high schools. I've got questions regarding to this... and I hope to get answers for them from you :)

.1 Is it true that I'd be able to study only 1 year in public school? Then, if i'd like to "extend" my student visa status i'd have to go to private school....
.2 Unfortunately private schools are quite expensive. Do you know any schoolarships/financial aid for international students for private/public high schools? If so, could you give me some links? I've already tried looking for it on google, but no interesting results :(

Could you reccommend schools for internationals, like me? My fascination is maths and programming, and later I'd to study at university in Usa (i'd love to study at MIT)...

I'd like to add that i've got great marks at school (almost straight As) and some success in contests (science - math & programming).
Another problem is that my parents are here in poland, and i've got no relative in us (dispite of a few [close] friends of my parents)...

Thanks for help and answers!

walrus123 said:
I'm currently in Poland, but I'd like to attend high school in USA. There are firms in poland that offer "a year abroad in us high school". You can live with host family etc. etc. They offer both public and private high schools. I've got questions regarding to this... and I hope to get answers for them from you :)

.1 Is it true that I'd be able to study only 1 year in public school? Then, if i'd like to "extend" my student visa status i'd have to go to private school....
.2 Unfortunately private schools are quite expensive. Do you know any schoolarships/financial aid for international students for private/public high schools? If so, could you give me some links? I've already tried looking for it on google, but no interesting results :(

Could you reccommend schools for internationals, like me? My fascination is maths and programming, and later I'd to study at university in Usa (i'd love to study at MIT)...

I'd like to add that i've got great marks at school (almost straight As) and some success in contests (science - math & programming).
Another problem is that my parents are here in poland, and i've got no relative in us (dispite of a few [close] friends of my parents)...

Thanks for help and answers!

the one year deal with the F1 Visa for students is based on if you can support yourself with the assests you have in your home country. if you are able to support yourself for more then one year, you need to first clarify all the information with the school and hopefully they can allow you to attend for another year. majority of high school students go to the US and attend a private high school which have the I-20 forms generated from the SEVIS system. you have to make sure the school you plan to have those forms. as for your second question, i know some colleges allow scholorships for international students, as for public high school students i'm not positive. if you were to go to a private high school i am sure they allow some sort of scholorship for academic catagories and for athletics. for your question about college, there are a vast majority for students interested in programming and math. MIT is a VERY competive school and you must score in the near perfect score on the new SAT and have a 4.0+ GPA. i would go to www.collegeboard.com and research a college right for you and the scores you produce. best of luck.

Hi laxdef14,

I know this is kind 'several months' back discussion', but is it also F1 Visa if a high school student want to study in the US?.

My niece is still in high school and she wants to finish 1 or 2 years of high school in the US.

Is there a specific VISA ?

Thanks

XYZ004 said:
Hi laxdef14,

I know this is kind 'several months' back discussion', but is it also F1 Visa if a high school student want to study in the US?.

My niece is still in high school and she wants to finish 1 or 2 years of high school in the US.

Is there a specific VISA ?

Thanks

it will still be the F1 visa. but first the school must have all the forms to be filed to apply for a F1 visa. Usually people who apply for F1 visas to attend high school chose private high schools. some public schools have forms to apply for an F1 visa there arent a lot, and a private school is much easier to apply. might i add, many private schools are very expensive, similar to colleges. hopefully the finiancial burden wont be much of a problem for your family. best of luck with everything.

Thanks, I guess first I have to contact the school to find out.

I live in an area in NJ where the high school is in the second rank in NJ, so the plan is to have my niece study in our public high school. I know private school will be very expensive and if the public school can not help, we may have to wait till he finish high school. Thanks a lot

i had something important to add.... in order to be an exchange student, you will receive a J1 visa, and you will get a maximum of 12 months, nothing more... this applies to public high schools, also you will have to return to your home country for 2 years before you can come back to the us ever again.and you have to be in your " home country" being in other countries doesnt count.also, you will have to pay tuition even in the public school... which is sometimes more expensive than private schools. free tuition is only for tax payers, and being a foreign student makes you in eligible for such public aid.

If you go to a private school, they will issue you an I20 and you will get an F1 visa. there is no home residency requirement, and you will still have to pay your tuition in full.If you plan on going to college in the usa, then i believe the best option would be to attent a private high school. also education there is usualy better than public high schools, GPA's will be higher... so you will have a better chance of being accepted in college... this is especialy important since you need a visa... so they will favor your application... if you have a bad GPa, your chances of getting into college will be slim... also if you have a higher GPA you may be eligible for better financial aid and less tuition. good luck to everyone, i hope i cleared a few things:)

GEC provides real time updated information on the various universities and admission procedures for Countries like USA, UK, Singapore courses and so on.

We also offer coaching for examinations like CAT / CET / SNAP / NMAT / MAT & GRE / GMAT / TOEFL / SAT / IELTS.

Every academic destination, like USA, Australia, and UK, has its own demands to be fulfilled in order to secure admission in the right University. Keeping this in mind we also provide students with necessary Admissions Counseling which includes the following:

 Psychometric Assessment
 Counselling Session
 School Selection
 Preparing Application Packet
 Visa Counselling
 Pre-departure Seminar

So get ready, GET Started with the procedures Right away…

For further information contact:
Global Education Counsel:
[a division of Growth Centre (I) Pvt. Ltd.]
5th Floor, Gagangiri Complex,
18th Road, Chembur, Mumbai – 400071
Chembur: (022) 32516857/ 2528 5657 / 2528 7474
Pune: (020) 64000143 /25456179 / 25455184
Email :
Pune: info_pune@globaleducationcounsel.org
Mumbai: info_mumbai@globaleducationcounsel.org

GEC provides real time updated information on the various universities and admission procedures for Countries like USA, UK, Singapore courses and so on.

We also offer coaching for examinations like CAT / CET / SNAP / NMAT / MAT & GRE / GMAT / TOEFL / SAT / IELTS.

Every academic destination, like USA, Australia, and UK, has its own demands to be fulfilled in order to secure admission in the right University. Keeping this in mind we also provide students with necessary Admissions Counseling which includes the following:

 Counselling Session
 School Selection
 Visa Counselling
 Pre-departure Seminar

Email :

 Counselling Session
 School Selection
 Visa Counselling
 Pre-departure Seminar

Email :

Use the internet to find different organizations to help you. there are tons of organizations that will aid foreign students!

It was really a very useful post. my friends also found it very useful and interesting. Thanks for making such posts.