Hi all,

newestuser

Registered Users (C)
I have my citizenship interview in 6 days and been a GCHolder for 10 yrs now.The first 5 years , I spent most of my time outside the US , but been in continuous residence for 5 yrs now .I realised today :mad: that I am required to produce a tax transcript , which I was told takes anywhere from 10-21 days via mail.So , I requested a fax copy (which I have) , I plan to get an IRS stamp on it from the local IRS office to make it official.

Anyone with a similar experience???will this work??
Also , will the IRS office issue me a transcript if I directly approach them -seeing that I already have a fax copy???

Last edited by a moderator:
The transcripts are generally not mandatory, it is good to have them in case the IO asks for them, the fax copies that you have should be sufficient, if you have take copies of tax returns you have, I was not asked for tax transcripts or any other kind of tax documents.

Hey , that makes me feel much better!!---appreciate it and hope it works !!

Ohio:
3/05-Receipt date
3/28-Fingerprinted
5/31-Interview date

I am sure it will work. Make an extra set before you go to leave for the IO to keep if he/she wants them. They did want mine.

While tax transcripts are not asked for in 98% of cases, an IO will sometimes use them to verify whether you have been paying taxes and under what category you have been filing.

Obviously I don't know your exact situation, but given how long you spent out of the US since becoming an LPR, the IO may want to check that you didn't claim non-resident status and hence abandon your residency. The paperwork you have already obtained should be sufficient.

I think the five year continuous residence makes you safe. The IO may ask about the first five years and why you were abroad for so long when you had already declared you wanted to live here permanently( hence the GC in the first place). Speaking as someone who "knew" an IO, here's their thinking most of the time:

LPR = I want to stay here permanently, meaning this is my full time base but I can leave for short periods etc etc .
Now, when you have a GC and have huge absences from the US, the purpose of the LPR is defeated or seriously undermined and hence the question becomes," Did you get the GC because it affords you easy entry in the US almost anytime?. That's considered FRAUD FOR THE PUPROSE OF IMMIGRATION BENEFITS..a huge NO NO.
Having said all that, have a plausible explanation for the absences during the first five years and you should do ok.

The tax transcripts are not a big deal. they already know if you are a tax payer or a dodger. if you are a dodger and you go in and lie, then hey have you by the balls.

Bottom line, don't make yourself a pinata by lying, they will take a swing and you may not like the result. Good Luck

Thanks Boat and Blacwell, that is great advice re:the first 5 years & it makes sense why they ask for tax transcripts .

Speaking of the first 5 years and being away so much. You better check that you didn't invalidate your Green Card by being away so much. The Officer might notice that you violated the Green Card terms and you could have abandoned it by your leaving. In that case you not only wouldn't pass this interview, but you might then have an issue with your current green card.

You stated "Most your time outside the US". I think you might have abandoned your GC. You might really want to consider a lawyer for this one. I would hate to see you go in for your citizenship interview only to come out with your Green Card revoked and on the deportation list for illegal presence...

Good catch

Warlord, that was a good catch. To NewestUser, do you know how long you were out of the US during the first five years and how long did you stay in the US during each year of the first five years.
However, if they let you in when you came back then your GC may still be valid. Plus if they called you in for an interview, you A number must be active. In any case, you might want to consult a lawyer, we are just guys and gals talking from experience, some of which may be waaay off base.

Agree

I agree with Kblackwell. You should consult a lawyer. Also, do remember that most of the people here ARE NOT attorneys and are just speaking from experiences and a lot of the time base their comments on assumptions. Do not base your decisions solely on what you read on this forum, which is exactly that, a forum (a very helpful one, I may add).

If you google "green card" abandoment. Then you should find a lot of information that you might be able to figure out if you did in fact abandon your green card.

This is just one example I found that explains it.
http://www.visalaw.com/01jan4/12jan401.html

If you filed taxes those 5 years, and you had a permanent resident in the US and you renewed your drivers licence etc you might be able to show you were still a permanent resident. Otherwise, without hard core proof, there might be a problem. Of course with the documents to show your travel etc that can also pose a threat to your current status...

Just to be sure we are all on the same page.

If newestuser filed for, and was granted a Re-entry Permit during his/her absences (and possibly an Application to Preserve Residency tho' probably not needed if he/she has been back for 5 years), then the situation may not be as dire as is being assumed.

I got my green card in 1983 and was overseas (US corporate employer) for extended periods after that. However, Reentry Permits were rigorously obtained and kept up to date in all cases.

Not a problem with my N-400 application and interview tho' the IO did spend quite a bit oif time on my work/travel schedule to satisfy himself that indeed my permanent residency had not been abandoned as is being suggested for newestuser.

The thing is you were working for a "US Corporate Employer". So that meaning was your ties to the US company. I don't think that is the case with this one that they were working for a US company and sent overseas to work for them like you did.

You're tax records would have been filed by the US employer and reflected in your returns too as US based. Even with that evidence you still got questioned and the officer went over it throughly. I don't think our poster has even that supporting evidence...

The thing is you were working for a "US Corporate Employer". So that meaning was your ties to the US company. I don't think that is the case with this one that they were working for a US company and sent overseas to work for them like you did.

You're tax records would have been filed by the US employer and reflected in your returns too as US based. Even with that evidence you still got questioned and the officer went over it throughly. I don't think our poster has even that supporting evidence...

Warlord, you are 100% correct. However, I think that more background data regarding the nature of the poster's five years of absences would be needed for us to focus in on the magnitude of the "problem".

I was actually in medical school ( HENCE NOT WORKING AND HENCE NOT REQUIRED TO FILE TAXES) those 5 yrs and kept my GC by visiting every 1 year , also had a re-entry permit for the extended time when (I couldnt visit over 12 months )I wasnt here towards the end of the 5 yrs.

Unfortunately , I do not have my re-entry permit with me - NEVER thought it would be important -but I do not think it will be a problem as I have my med school transcripts and stuff.

Hi ,
My transcripts actually arrived in 1 buisness day and my interview was a breeze .Thanks all for the support.

Hi brb2,
I actually entered it in wannabe Citizen's interview experience column earlier ...... and essentially it went as follows:
I reached around 30 mts prior to the Int time.
The IO asked me to stand and take the oath , then asked for a proof of identity - GC -
Then she went over the N400 application form - essentially re-confirming the things that I had filled ( Do you want to change your name , kids , marriages , arrests etc)
Then she asked me to write a sentence ( I live in Ohio)
Asked me 6-7 questions from the booklet that they provide( make sure you know your Governor's name!!)

And that was it !!
Took maybe 5 mts or so .

I actually had time to discuss address changes and could also change my photograph ( which we send initially with the application)

I actually received my Oath ceremony date already - scheduled for in 26 days from day of interview.

Hope this helped - it is really a benign process and like someone said - if you have all documents , they end up not wanting to see it !! I mean - I wasnt asked to show any docs except my GC.