Here's one reason why India is dirt poor...

CyrusD

Registered Users (C)
$60 million to say 'I do'
Indian steel tycoon throws 6-day bash for daughter's wedding

The Associated Press
Updated: 3:31 p.m. ET June 25, 2004

PARIS - An Indian steel tycoon reportedly paid $60 million for his daughter’s wedding - a six-day bash for 1,500 guests in France’s most sumptuous settings, including Versailles.

Lakshmi Mittal rented the Tuileries garden in Paris one night and a gallery at Versailles another night to celebrate the marriage of his 23-year-old daughter, Vanisha, to 25-year-old Amit Bhatia, according to Thursday’s edition of Paris Match magazine.

Louis XIV’s lavish chateau apparently was not enough - Mittal also had a makeshift castle built at a park in Saint-Cloud, outside the capital, Paris Match said. The actual wedding took place Tuesday at another chateau, Vaux-le-Vicomte.

The $60 million price tag was about the cost of an Airbus A320 passenger jet.

The wedding put on by Mittal, named by Forbes magazine as one of the richest people in the world, cost more than the recent royal wedding in Spain. Paris Match said the wedding of Spain’s Crown Prince Felipe to TV anchorwoman Letizia Ortiz cost $35 million.

Find this story on the web at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5297284/?GT1=3584

If he earned it with his hard work. Then he has every right to blow it off.
If he earned it by sucking the blood of poor people and other means like that than its bad. I dont know.
India is poor because of indian people , almost all indians gets credit for that!
:eek:

You are talking about a rich Indian here who is rated as one of the world's richest and most successful individual-Mittal, if I am not mistaken he is an NRI based in UK and u calling India poor, because he spends??? Doesn't make any sense, does it? He is one of them who makes India proud on the world map, and why should a dad not spend on his daughter's wedding if he can afford it? Its like the fox and grapes story, if you don't have it that does not mean others should not enjoy what they have!!
India is poor because of population explosion,illiteracy and corruption. But this country has a lot of potential and it is evident from the recent boom which it is experiencing. God bless India!!