Here's one reason why India is dirt poor...

CyrusD

Registered Users (C)
SPAM: Here's one reason why India is dirt poor...

$60 million to say 'I do'
Indian steel tycoon throws 6-day bash for daughter's wedding

The Associated Press
Updated: 3:31 p.m. ET June 25, 2004

PARIS - An Indian steel tycoon reportedly paid $60 million for his daughter’s wedding - a six-day bash for 1,500 guests in France’s most sumptuous settings, including Versailles.

Lakshmi Mittal rented the Tuileries garden in Paris one night and a gallery at Versailles another night to celebrate the marriage of his 23-year-old daughter, Vanisha, to 25-year-old Amit Bhatia, according to Thursday’s edition of Paris Match magazine.

Louis XIV’s lavish chateau apparently was not enough - Mittal also had a makeshift castle built at a park in Saint-Cloud, outside the capital, Paris Match said. The actual wedding took place Tuesday at another chateau, Vaux-le-Vicomte.

The $60 million price tag was about the cost of an Airbus A320 passenger jet.

The wedding put on by Mittal, named by Forbes magazine as one of the richest people in the world, cost more than the recent royal wedding in Spain. Paris Match said the wedding of Spain’s Crown Prince Felipe to TV anchorwoman Letizia Ortiz cost $35 million.

Find this story on the web at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5297284/?GT1=3584

Last edited by a moderator:
CyrusD,

Please refrain from making comments against any country or religion. We don't want to hear any comments from you or anybody else or discuss why India is poor.

This forum is just to discuss immigration matter and nothing else.

Moderators,I_140_takes_forever,

Please delete this kind of discriminatory/ugly posting from this forum and block the user.

Thanks,
-Honeybee

I fully agree. What someone spends on their daughter's wedding is not for others to talk about, and more so in this Immigration Forum.

CyrusD said:

The Associated Press

PARIS - An Indian steel tycoon reportedly paid $60 million for his daughter’s wedding - a six-day bash for 1,500 guests in France’s most sumptuous settings, including Versailles.

Lakshmi Mittal rented the Tuileries garden in Paris one night and a gallery at Versailles another night to celebrate the marriage of his 23-year-old daughter, Vanisha, to 25-year-old Amit Bhatia, according to Thursday’s edition of Paris Match magazine.

Louis XIV’s lavish chateau apparently was not enough - Mittal also had a makeshift castle built at a park in Saint-Cloud, outside the capital, Paris Match said. The actual wedding took place Tuesday at another chateau, Vaux-le-Vicomte.

The wedding put on by Mittal, named by Forbes magazine as one of the richest people in the world, cost more than the recent royal wedding in Spain. Paris Match said the wedding of Spain’s Crown Prince Felipe to TV anchorwoman Letizia Ortiz cost $35 million.

Good off topic post but remember the following:

1. This guy Mittal made his money in UK and not in India.
2. It is wrong to assume that that every rich guy who slogged
to make money should spend that money to remove poverty
in this world.
3. India is "poor" because
3.1 We do not have a materialistic philosphy.
3.2 Materialistic philosphy is required to make technological progress.
3.3 India is materialistically poor because our people are lazy "take
it easy" and mostly kept ignorant by vested interests (politicians).

Remember being materialistically poor does not mean we are poor
in human values and quality of thoughts. Buddha was born 500 years
before Christ. Upnishads were written many hundred years before christ.
Most of these times so called technologicaly advanced "otherwise uncivilized"
people of today were savages living a barabaric existance.

Last edited by a moderator:
honeybee said:
CyrusD,

Please refrain from making comments against any country or religion. We don't want to hear any comments from you or anybody else or discuss why India is poor.

This forum is just to discuss immigration matter and nothing else.

Moderators,I_140_takes_forever,

Please delete this kind of discriminatory/ugly posting from this forum and block the user.

Thanks,
-Honeybee

I agree. We have a lot of immigrations issues to discuss than non-related problems.

I want to add one thing

"we are poor because we are stupid and one of the most currupt society in the world".

you will not use work "poor" once you see our temples.

justchecking said:

in this world.

goodsaint said:
I want to add one thing

"we are poor because we are stupid and one of the most currupt society in the world".

you will not use work "poor" once you see our temples.

Agree to the corrupt part but why stupid ? In what sense you
think we are stupid ? May be you mean we are stupid
in that we value vegetarianism rather than building muscles
and destroying other societies, cultures and converting other
people to hinduism. Obviously you can say we are "stupid"
because we did not promote these values.

We are so poor that only a few dozens of people have donated to ImmigrationPortal.ORG, and only 8 people even after approval.
We are so stupid that we don't know how to take an action against the Government's insjustice.

Make your donation to ImmigrationPortal.ORG, and join some activities for our community.

Sayd Mustafa Ali was great philosopher and traveler of India in British period. Once he was travelling Afgahistan (that time British just "left" Afganistan concluding that it would not make sense to rule a place that lacks any resource - whether it's agricultural or natural). He noticed that all the traffics are moving in an untimate chaotic manner. He asked one person why it was like that. The person replied "We are not under British rule. We are free country. Therefore we don't need to follow any rule. We are FREE!". Anyway, we all know the above mentioned country did not progress that much even after being FREE long before India got.
The basic difference between a 3rd world country and a developed country is - decipline and planning. Well, not true completely. We have decipline and planning, but that is mainly deverted to spiritual world and unfortulately there are very few applications of this declipline/planning in materialistics world. And that is evident in economy, society and even sports.

It's unfair to blame all the rich people for our poverty. We are ppor in our own right.

justchecking said:

in this world.

Whatever it is, For me India is the Best

Indian may be poor.
India may be corrupt.
India may be underdeveloped.

I don't care, every bit of my heart is in India and for me India is the best and
my first loyality will be to India even if I become US Citizen one day.

pralay said:
Sayd Mustafa Ali was great philosopher and traveler of India in British period. Once he was travelling Afgahistan (that time British just "left" Afganistan concluding that it would not make sense to rule a place that lacks any resource - whether it's agricultural or natural). He noticed that all the traffics are moving in an untimate chaotic manner. He asked one person why it was like that. The person replied "We are not under British rule. We are free country. Therefore we don't need to follow any rule. We are FREE!". Anyway, we all know the above mentioned country did not progress that much even after being FREE long before India got.
The basic difference between a 3rd world country and a developed country is - decipline and planning. Well, not true completely. We have decipline and planning, but that is mainly deverted to spiritual world and unfortulately there are very few applications of this declipline/planning in materialistics world. And that is evident in economy, society and even sports.

It's unfair to blame all the rich people for our poverty. We are ppor in our own right.

I dont think British left Afgahistan because it lacked natural resources.
They left because Afgahistanians were too unruley to be controlled
by british. Or you could also say they could not find a Gandhi
to prop up in Afgahistan so that they control it till they want and then
leave when it is convenient.

To CyrusD

In India, if Parent's Annual income is 2lakh rupees, they spend 5-10lakhs for there children's wedding, may be Cyrus, your wedding expenditure might be your parents annual income, did you stop that expense from happening and gave that money to charity??....Do you drive a car here for atleast $20,000 more or less?...did you think about india when you bought the car???.. My point is the percentage of annual income you put in buying your car or for your wedding is far far more than the percentage of income that mittal spends in his airplane and weddings. If your parents (and most of the parents in India) put 200% of annual earnings in your(children's) wedding.....then you have no right to point to mittal....he has earned it with his intelligence and hard work.......why dont you do what mittal did and give charity and then only make such accusations.....

cyrus D

I fully agree with gc-02.

Indians are good at point out some one.

All people who make sarcastic comments about India (it is poor country, corruption, bad politicians ) should comeforward and tell what they did individually to alleviate the problem

1. Politicians are corrupt.
Why only polliticians, arent we corrupt.

How many of us bought gold by paying legitimate sales tax (in india or in america)
how many of us not bribed Railway ticket collector to get berths
how many of us not paid bribes to get passport quicker
How many of us not bribed custom officials (giving from wine bottles) to
take items on which customs duty is due
How many of us paid bribes to get birth certificates
how many of us produced false certificates to get visas

the list goes on and on

2. We say india's population is one billion. How many of us took the bold decision of not having children (leave alone children how many of us crave for a male child )

We always like to blame others.

Shreya

only a moron can post a thread like this. India is India.. you need diversity in the world. If not then it will become one boring place.. Don't compare everything with america.. I live in the US and I also know that USA is a few hundred years old. India is a few thousand years old. I agree that the politicians controll what the poor masses think...

Kashmir.. I understand your situation.. pls control your frustration.. the web and all the forums are for free.. you are sounding like a corrupt official. if you think that people are not contributing and using you advice for free.. then stop giving them.. As far as I have seen, the class action did nothing and neither will the immigration.org site.. When AILA can do nothing, will a so called immigration.org make an impact?

badcredit said:
Kashmir.. I understand your situation.. pls control your frustration.. the web and all the forums are for free.. you are sounding like a corrupt official. if you think that people are not contributing and using you advice for free.. then stop giving them.. As far as I have seen, the class action did nothing and neither will the immigration.org site.. When AILA can do nothing, will a so called immigration.org make an impact?
You made a very good point. I do not understand why people with political aspirations think they can do it all. Bottomline is your are an immigrant. No one cares for your rights. The law suite is a fluke and I have never believed that anything will come out of it. All donation campaigns on this board are fluke. What is the accountability of money collected through all these projects that are going on .. I somehow think some people are making money. If those people are reading and getting angry .. then dude, post your accounts before getting my 50 bucks ...

As to this Mittal guy. the reason he spent so much was because he has acute inferiority complex. rag picker’s son wanted recognition ...

CyrusD said:

The Associated Press

Didn't know she had so much dough.... and I dumped her! :mad: :mad: :mad:

On a more optimistic note, may be we should contact Mittal... she might donate $50 to immigrationportal.org

badcredit said:
As far as I have seen, the class action did nothing and neither will the immigration.org site.. When AILA can do nothing, will a so called immigration.org make an impact?
Obviously you haven't seen that much then. Before Kashmir started aggitating and raising mass awareness, there were 10 approvals in the approval thread per month if we were lucky and no end to the backlog in sight. After we met with Anna Eshoo and other Congresspersons, and they started putting pressure on CSC, we have certainly seen a big jump with 90+ approvals per month and growing. You could call it coincidence but then why hasn't other service centers moved at the speed of CSC's?

As far as the effectiveness of the lawsuit is concerned. Do you know that INS is actually planning to store fingerprints in a database so you don't have to go for second fingerprinting when your finger prints have expired? Do you know that INS is planning to start issuing EAD's for multiple years? All of which were points laid out to INS in the lawsuit.

Besides all this, this is the first time that INS is accountable. Legally accountable, do you know what that means? They have to give answers or pay the price. For you to understand the seriousness with which INS is taking the lawsuit, do you know that they offered to approve all the cases of the people who were part of the orginal lawsuit if the case was dropped.

As far as comparing AILA to the lawsuit, tell me WHY would AILA want INS to adjudicate cases faster? Their members are lawyers, their bread and butter is EAD/AP renewal notices and replying to RFE. Out of all the groups involved in the backlog who do you think has the most to lose?

badcredit said:
I have never believed that anything will come out of it. All donation campaigns on this board are fluke. What is the accountability of money collected through all these projects that are going on .. I somehow think some people are making money. If those people are reading and getting angry .. then dude, post your accounts before getting my 50 bucks ...
You are most welcome to your beliefs. Please do not contribute 50$ under any duress. But as far as posting accounts "before" getting your money.
1. The account has not yet been touched other than to pay for the web hosting expenses, so there are no accounts to report.
2. The organization is registered as a non-profit, so its accounts are "accountable". And if you have complains about how the money is being spent you can always raise the issue in the right legal forums.
3. immigrationportal.org, would like people to contribute but not out of duress. It only wants money from people who believe in it, no one is begging you to contribute.

Honeybee,

I wouldn't close the thread, just because someone bad mouthed India, I don't agree with the OP, and I think his argument is pretty flawed, but that is their opinion. I would have been much happier if the Original poster had added SPAM to the top. We do have a history of posting non immigration related topics as long as SPAM is added to the header.

1. Please address the Post as SPAM.

2. folks, Pls do not accuse anybody here of corruption w/o evidence. This forum is a free forum and has given invluable (not just non-materialistically, but also materialistically) information and advice to numerous folks. Forums like these are run by volunteer work. Maybe there might be some commercial aspects to it, like being linked to a reputed law firm, however it is still a community based voluntary effort. Lets not don the oft-quoted "crab in a bucket" mentality here. Everyone is right to seek accountability. But ask so w/o accusing. To give an insight into human psychology. WHen a person A accusses Person B , the human instinct drives person B to first defend with the intention to cause offend and this inturn leads to a spiral of violence. Instead if person A can stand next to Person B and ask politely, one might get more answers.

3. As for as the initial posting by Cyrus, I think he was just affected as in shocked by the amount spent by Mittal for this ceremony. I think the Indian media, especially the Internet based media like rediff just give unnecessary importance to the "glitzy", "glamor", "commerce based" news. For e.g. there is a slide show on this bride/groom, marriage on the popular redifined site. On the other hand is there any reason to not put a slide show on farmer's troubled lives, state of children beggars, on sustainable development, and other social issues. When one reads news such as 60 million of anything spent on a wedding, one does get shocked by the disparity in the world, especially, considering this person's roots. There seems to be little difference between the amount spent by Mitel and, for e.g., a Trump, Turner or others. BUT what is different is the BLOWING one's horn that has been done in case of Mitel. A Turner might not have gone about blowing. Also, somebody here made a good point about how parents easily spend their lifetime savings on their child's marraige. BUT DO THEY LIKE DOING IT...Unless the parent is that well-off, lot of parents resent it. INFACT it is the girl's family that has to take up the burden..(btw, I am not a female, incase u guys start bashing based on gender). How many guys have the balls to stand up and ask for a simple marraige? Even in low-key, non-Mitel world, Indian marraiges are a waste! Food is a waste, angers r wasted, tears r wasted, etc. RSVP would be a great idea!
So CYRUS, ur post has been accepted in the right spirit by me, unless u have posted in the wrong spirit. But other give , Cyrus the benefit of doubt. He just got a bit carried away and tried to find an angle of society. By the way if Cyrus is the person's name, to all those who r bashing him thinking he is non-Indian, he seems to be an Indian from a wonderfully pragmatic, economically powerful section of Indian society. I am sure he has drawn the message from his roots of pragmatism.
Finally all those living outside US, do not bash India blaming problems on all those living there. Remember when we lived there or our parents lived there, they contributed to all that problems and did not have the desire, courage, patience to change by being within the society. Hence they bailed out, including myself. However we r trying to rectify from outside, but it cannot be done by blaming, accusing or offending!
To all those who live outside India and are accusing their adopted country, do not sit here and curse this adopted country when u r trying to become its member. It seems very hypocritical when immigrant parents force down the throats of their kids a culture that the kids never grow up with. Forcing a belief system never leads to the belief being accepted and eventually the belief is vommitted on the parents. Infact we Indians who complain about being not treated well, there r experiences of Inidans mistreating African students or Bhutanese, NE Indian students and never accepting as part of the mainstream.
Accept each society and nation as a culture and experience. Each one has its strengths and weakness.
Lets get back to immigration....
Thanks

Some fact checking

justchecking said:
I dont think British left Afgahistan because it lacked natural resources.
They left because Afgahistanians were too unruley to be controlled
by british. Or you could also say they could not find a Gandhi
to prop up in Afgahistan so that they control it till they want and then
leave when it is convenient.

Well, Iran was also as unruly as Afganistan that time. But British did not leave Iran - instead it controlled everything with a puppet govt (especially all the oil fields) until Mohammad Mossadegh came to power.
When you say "could not find a Gandhi to prop up...." you are discrediting Indian freedom movement - very same way any colonial power would discredit any freedom movement. Someday you will say India is still under British rule?