here's a thought re:interview/letter/requirements?

camp12

Registered Users (C)
so- on the IL i assume they tell you what to bring with you.
if you get to the itnerview and you're speaking with them, why would they ask for tax papers or anything? if they ask, why can't a good answer be- no one told me to bring it (i.e. it wasn't stated on the IL)?

maybe a stupid Q- but if i never stumbled here, i would never even think to bring tax papers/bills/dmv records etc....and i would (rightfully so) bitch at the IO if he were to deny me on the grounds that i didn't bring my 06 tax returns (if it weren't stated)

thoughts?

Think it like this: Citizenship is a coveted status and during the interview you are asked several questions to clarify things stated on your application. When you say something (like you have filed Federal Taxes), its only your word, the onus is on you to back your statements with facts. That is where the documents (aka tax transcripts) come in and put I/O's mind at ease.

No, your N-400 will not be denied if you do not seem to carry some of the 'asked' paperwork. Its just that No decision is made during the interview and you are merely asked to submit 'proof' (aka documents) later on (means delays) so that a 'decision' can be taken. Here in DC DO it takes about 450 days to be scheduled for an interview (from your PD), no one wants any more delay in the decision.

People on this Board have created a list of questions/things that can be asked during the interview. It helps everyone to perpare better and take factual backings along so that a decision by the I/O is taken right then and there during the interview itself. Imagine passing the interview but being in limbo (to be scheduled for Oath later on) just because USCIS lost your photographs and never told you (in the IL) to bring two copies of the same.......

Does that help to answer?

You're right in that you can get away with not having a document if the IO deems it is not important. For example, my spouse was asked for the Social Security Card and didn't have it. That was not a problem at all, it didn't delay anything and didn't cause any issues. However, it could be that on another situation the IO asks for tax transcripts and if the IO really wants them might say, please submit them later on and I will make my decision later. I would say that the typical case (employment based) only requires minimal documents, passport, green card, driver license and that's pretty much it.

I had my interview recently and I went there with copies of everything they asked for and might need.
The IO didn't ask for anything except my greencard.
He did ask if I filed taxes in 07 and I said yes and he didn't even ask for copies of the tax returns I had brought in.......

If your case is straightforward (really straightforward, and not simply because you think it is), then the IO will most likely not ask you for anything that's not on the IL. If they do ask, you can say you just brought what was needed per the IL. People have a tendency to carry extra stuff and play super safe.
Some examples:
* 5-yr applicants seem to carry stuff required of 3-yr applicants and vice versa.

* People who entered the US when they were 35 yrs old seem to be scrambling to get SS Registration waiver letters.

Everyone gets approved at the end if they don't have any unclean history. You'll have a hard time finding people who got denied if their applications were straightforward and they obeyed the IL documentation requirements.